Graphics Card question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
I recently run Sandra SiS to do a boot score on my pc and it said that as I didnt have a graphics card as my mobo has onboard graphics it uses a lot of my processing ability. I was wondering if it would be worth my while to buy a cheap graphics card so as to free up my processor from having to deal with the graphics chip on my board. Is the amount of processor that is being used by my onboard graphics chip really that much? I am never going to use my pc for games so is it really worth me buying a graphics card and if it is would a cheap, possibly the cheapest one around be worth investing in?

Yes, it would... as long as the card was at least equal to what you currently have.

Not only is your onboard using some of the CPU's cycles, it is also using some of your computer's RAM. A graphics card will alleviate both of these as it has its own dedicated processor and its own dedicated RAM.

Since you are looking for a card to do this and not be a gaming powerhouse, make sure that the power requirements do not exceed your current PSU. If it does you would have to upgrade it as well.

Yes, it would... as long as the card was at least equal to what you currently have.

Not only is your onboard using some of the CPU's cycles, it is also using some of your computer's RAM. A graphics card will alleviate both of these as it has its own dedicated processor and its own dedicated RAM.

Since you are looking for a card to do this and not be a gaming powerhouse, make sure that the power requirements do not exceed your current PSU. If it does you would have to upgrade it as well.

How do I find out if it is 'at least equal to what i have' and what do you mean by this exactly? Also how do I find out if my power requirements do not exceed my current PSU and what would the consequences of this be?

I was thinking about buying this card

Gigabyte GV NX72G512E2 Graphics Card

from here

Gigabyte GV NX72G512E2 Graphics Card Graphics Card GV-NX72G512E2 - PC World Business Online Store UK - Buy The Best Deals Online.
Also thanks for the help.

Here is the info from my onboard graphics chip, would it be worth installing the board instead of this?

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Report

Report Date: 05/20/2009
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 18:35:17
Driver Version: 7.14.10.1283
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic* , Service Pack 1 (6.0.6001)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 2037 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 224 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 63 MB
Processor: x86 family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Speed: 2194 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2772
Device Revision: 02

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Video BIOS: 1374
Current Graphics Mode: 1024 by 768 True Color (60 Hz)

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

Thaty card is very simular to the second one i posted, which was 6pds less. More than perfect for you.

Easiest way to find the psu, is to open the side of your case, and read the label on its side. Look for Amps under the 12V.

Edit..

It is the same card.

Max out put power : 300W (+12v +5&+3.3V TOTAL)

or it has a little circle saying 18A.

Also I have PCI expansion slots and this says pci express 2.0 x16, will this work on my mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom