Graphics Card for basic dual monitor setup, non-gaming, and linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinson

Daemon Poster
Okay, I have 2 monitors (kinda), a main 17" 1280 x 1024 monitor and my projector which is somewhere around 800 x 640 (I know its an odd resolution).

I need 2 VGA outputs, as both monitors are VGA. I understand many video cards now come with 2 DVI and 2 DVI to VGA convertors, and I guess that would be fine.

Tigerdirect has an 8600 for $70 (XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX Video Card - FREE Company of Heroes PC Game, 256MB DDR3, SLI Ready, PCI Express, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card PVT84JUDD3 at TigerDirect.com, Would that do what I wanted? I don't do any gaming really at all that requires a video card. I play assaultcube occasionally, but that game maxes out on my intel graphics.

From what I've heard Nvidia is much, much easier to work with for linux, so I'll probably be buying an Nvidia card. I basically just want a dual monitor setup and currently only have one video out. Mostly my second output will be running VLC media player most of the time or a browser with a video stream.

Any suggestions?

That would do fine. I don't have any first hand experience with this but I've heard that Nvidia is waaay easier to work with if you're on Linux. The drivers are supposed to be a lot better than ATI.

Yes, it's true. Go with Nvidia.

I've got an FX 5700 and I'm running dual monitors under Linux. It does everything I want it to do. The only game I play is Enemy Territory, and it runs it pretty nicely. All of my Compiz effects are smooth, too.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you don't need much power to do what you're describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom