display scaling ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i bought an HDMI cable to replace the VGA cable between my computer and (HDTV) monitor. however, the screen is now displaying so large, that i can not see the red x box to close out a window. i tried changing a few things one at a time (so i could reset them if it did not work), with no luck. and i just now had my son try to fix the issue, but he had no luck at all either. so i have to ask for help again. / also, does an HDMI cable carry sound? i am not sure if there is sound coming thru the HDMI port of my computer or not. but i guess it would be nice if it did. but i will wait to see until i can actually close out a window to try it.

p.s. the setting right now is 1360 x 768. i do not know if i need to make the numbers smaller (1200 x 600 as an example) or larger ( 1400 x 800) to make the image smaller.

Is 1360 x 768 the recommended resolution for it? Are you still using the IGP? If you're using the IGP, the Intel Graphics options will have scaling options for TVs. If using an Nvidia graphics card they have it in the NVCP.

yes, 1360 x 768 is the recommended setting. and yes, i am using Intel igp only, no graphics card. i finally found how to change the setting, (in a Intel menu) so i shrank it down to 1280 x 720. that scaled down the window more than enough. however, i still can only see a sliver of the bottom "tool" bar (i know that is not the name of it, but i have a block right now). so is there some place else that i can change a setting, that will allow all of the screen to be seen? its like i need to remove 1/2" off the screen housing. i am pretty sure i will need a custom setting. which is fine. i do not mind playing with it to get it correct, once i find the correct place to do so.

well, so much for changing settings in the TV itself. as far as the picture size goes, it will only let me choose between preset size configurations, like standard (old CRT size), wide, zoom (aprox 10% increase) which makes matters worse, and cinema (which is aprox 20% increase). there is an advanced section listed, but it is not select-able (will not highlight). i guess that is part of the difference between high dollar and El cheapo TV's. at this point my thoughts are, i am going to watch a couple of videos and see if my eyes can even notice a difference between VGA & HDMI. if i can not, i will just go back to VGA, and save the HDMI cable for something else.

Back
Top Bottom