Building a gaming PC - advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Raja

Solid State Member
Hey,

This is the rig I've chosen, just want to know what you think and if I should make any changes. Advice is greatly appreciated as I'm probably not as computer-savvy as most of you. :)

RAM- OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15
HD- Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache
CD/DVD Drive- LiteOn LH-20A1S 20X SATA DVD±RW/DL Black Bare Drive
Mobo- Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 PCI-E Onboard Audio ATX
GPU- EVGA 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB Cache
PSU- Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU
Case- Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Mid Tower Case

Thanks.

The GTS graphic cards, are a thing of the past now. The 8800GTs are the hot cards.

I own the P5N-E SLI, and I can honestly say, it's a great board to work with...and if you want that SLI option. Many on tech forums though, will tell you otherwise, to get a P35 motherboard. Such as the Abit IP35 or Gigabyte P35-DS3R. They're much better overclockers.

Check the Cooler Master 690. In my opinion, a better performing case than the 330.

If you DO decide to go for an SLI option, get a 680i board instead of the 650i. I have used the p5k vanilla, gigabye p35-ds3r and am now on an evga 680i board and so far havent had any real issues with any of them. The 680i board with the current bios's overclock quite well. I've actually managed to get the q6600 farther on this board than i did on my p35 board. The voltage droop is a lot better on this board too. As for the ocz memory, its decent stuff, just dont expect it to overclock very well. I cant even get mine to boot past 1kmhz. But it does run stable at 800 with 4-4-4-12 timings.

Instead of OCZ, he should go for either Crucial Ballistix or Patriot Extreme Performances. They are the best for the money and performance, at the moment.

Ok thanks, I chose that GPU because it's EVGA, I could get something like the

MSI 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI PCI-E Graphics Card

for £20 more, sound OK? :)

Also, about the MOBO, I see the 'XFX 680I LT edition SLI Intel Socket 775 Nvidia motherboard ATX' - I really can't afford to spend much more than this though, I've already gone £200 over my budget. This is an extra £40, is it worth it?

Thanks.

If your on ebuyer, it says that the MSI 8800GT is out of stock. Anyway, I strongly advise you to wait for two weeks until AMDs new chipset/processor/graphics come out. Then you can make a more balanced decision.

Hahah, you set a budget. Setting a budget for a gaming PC is never a good idea, as you'll never hit the budget. I think ive spent a months pay or more on building 1.5 pc's in the last 3 months :(

XFX 8600GT 256MB DDR3 540MHz Core Clock 2xDVI PCI-E - only £80, I think I will go for that.

You would seriously lower the gaming performance of that computer, if that's what you're planning to do...

Why didn't you stick with the 8800GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom