Advice on what Processor to buy.

PeterNeedsHelp

Beta member
Hello,
I have been slowly upgrading parts of my PC for a while now and the next step for me is to upgrade my processor but I am practically clueless on processors and I want to ensure I purchase one that is effective and compatible.

Here is basically everything I know about my computer:
--------------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Processor: AMD A8-5500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs) 3.20GHz
Installed RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
-------------------------------------------------------

Any help is appreciated, thanks

I'd prefer better advice than that honestly.
Currently playing an FPS game I get around 60-80 fps so I'm only interested in buying a new processor.
Advice on what processor I should buy would be helpful.

Currently playing an FPS game I get around 60-80 fps so I'm only interested in buying a new processor.

Did you build this PC? If you didn't build it, are you certain that the processor isn't soldered to the motherboard? Most factory-built machines don't have a socket, they're soldered directly - therefore you can't upgrade the processor. You need to know this.

Either way, PP's advice is kinda as good as it gets with the limited information you provided. Even if you spend 400$ and get a crazy-nice processor you still may be severely bottle necked by old components. This would mean you'd spend 400$ and not get the best bang for your buck.

Best thing to do would be provide us with more info such as RAM speed, MOBO model, type of HD, etc... We can get a better sense of how any investment, upgrade or new purchase, would be best planned.

Last edited:

You have an FM2 CPU and motherboard. What PP Mguire said was actually quite accurate. That CPU/socket is completely dead and there is no path forward for it. IF your motherboard can handle it you could go with a more powerful APU but even an A10-6800 would only give you a 600MHz boost from where you are.

What kind of budget do you have in mind?

An old game all on low? If that's your cup of tea that's fine, but your biggest problem is the fact that your platform is FM2. FM2 stuff is not compatible with FM2+ so you don't have many options to go up. You have the A4-6300 for 27 pounds on Scan or the A6-6420k both of which are dual core. If you were on FM2+ you would be able to use the Athlon X4 860k which is quad-core and not a bad start. The problem with these APUs is the fact that their IPC is much worse than their mainstream counterparts in the FX line which was bad as it was. I mean the G4400 is the same price as the 6420k and absolutely smashes it which is why I said a platform upgrade. I have a Skylake i3 in my 9 year olds machine paired with a 1050 low profile card and it does really well from playing Roblox all the way to Overwatch at 1080p. The only problem being the ridiculous RAM price fixing these days making it hard to upgrade on the cheap.

Back
Top Bottom