Transferring pictures from tablet with broken touchscreen

Rineake

Beta member
I'm attempting to transfer some photos from an ASUS TF-300 to my desktop. The tablet has a non functional touchscreen. I can see what's on the screen, but it doesn't respond to any touches.

Any advice would be helpful, I'm at a loss.

Just plug any mouse into the USB port on it. You just need to plug it in then go into the Settings and change the usb connection to PC or whatever it's labeled as these days.

Just plug any mouse into the USB port on it. You just need to plug it in then go into the Settings and change the usb connection to PC or whatever it's labeled as these days.

That'd be a bit hard to do if the screen doesn't work :p.

@OP: The suggestion should still work - usually it's automatically set to PC connection, so just plug it in via USB and it should work, then you can browse the contents of the device.

Or if you have the dock for the tablet since it's a Transformer...you could see if the touchpad still works. Or plug an external mouse into one of the USB ports to see if the mouse cursor works that way.

The tablet doesn't have a USB port, it has a 40 pin slot, and a micro hdmi slot

I see that it supports a keyboard, but I don't have it. The tablet is my sister's, so I don't have all the info I might need.

Last edited:
The tablet has a non functional touchscreen. I can see what's on the screen, but it doesn't respond to any touches.

That'd be a bit hard to do if the screen doesn't work :p.

eh? ;)

Rineake said:
The tablet doesn't have a USB port, it has a 40 pin slot, and a micro hdmi slot

That stinks. I had the original Prime and I believe it had two USB ports. Silly that they removed that.

The charging cable for the tablet should be USB on the other end. If you plug that into your PC (preferably a desktop), you aren't able to open the drive from the Windows File Explorer? It doesn't show up as another drive?

If that doesn't work, you'll have to get a hold of a docking keyboard as CarnageX suggested.

Last edited:
The tablet needs to be set to Mass Storage to show up in Windows Explorer. I can't do that without the touch screen. I think.

I've gotten into recovery mode, but it's all symbols, so I'm lost.

I'm attempting to transfer some photos from an ASUS TF-300 to my desktop. The tablet has a non functional touchscreen. I can see what's on the screen, but it doesn't respond to any touches.

I was referring to that part of your suggestion :p.

I was referring to that part of your suggestion :p.

Which would've worked on the older style. On the original, if you plugged in a USB mouse, you got a cursor and could navigate that way... it was a very nice feature.

The tablet needs to be set to Mass Storage to show up in Windows Explorer. I can't do that without the touch screen. I think.

I've gotten into recovery mode, but it's all symbols, so I'm lost.

You probably want to stay out of there. If you can't control what it's doing (although unlikely) it's possible you'll reset and lose the information you're trying to retrieve.

Try to reboot it into normal mode by just power cycling, then try the USB connection to PC again hoping it happens to connect.

Now, the keyboard dock will be the easiest way if it doesn't work. There's another way, but it would require a considerable time investment in navigating around. You could install some Androik SDK packages and possibly gain console access, but that might not work if it refuses connection to the PC.

Is there a Best Buy in town (or similar)? Maybe they have one on display and you can simply connect yours right quick. Heck, you might even be able to just ask an employee. Be honest and just say you need to change a setting so you can get your pictures off. Long shot... but kind of low on options here :(

Edit: It's also possible you can use an adapter to plug a mouse into the charging port. It is a USB port. Something like this:
USB-2.0-A-Female-to-Mini-5-pin-Type-B-Male-Adapter-P13045344.jpg

I would say that's also a long shot, but the underlying android OS might possibly recognize the input and provide a means to interact.

Last edited:
I know this doesn't help here and now, but the next tablet you get change the settings to save pictures and data to the micro SD card. I have mine set up that way just in case the tablet craps out. I'd still be able to get to my pictures and data.

Back
Top Bottom