Cheap phone for uber?

morecoffeeplease

Beta member
I have an elderly friend in Boston (in this case it really is a friend and not me) who wants to use uber, so he needs a smartphone. He will probably use uber like six times per month at the most, and will probably never use the phone for anything else (he already has a verizon flipphone that he claims can't be upgraded or transferred, so he plans to just keep it. Whatever.).

I found this one with a $30 smart-talk plan with 100MB.

Anyone familiar with uber have any guesses about how much data he'd need based on his projected use, or any recommendations for a cheap phone/plan for this purpose alone?

OR can he just use wifi, with no plan? Anyone know if that's possible?

Last edited:
Straight Talk requires the $45 plan as the minimum with a smartphone.

Check out Cricket Wireless. They have some phones that are dirt cheap with activation. Smartphones require the Basic plan as a minimum ($40) but he can get $5 of if he sets it up as auto pay. Straight Talk's $45 comes out to be just over 50 once the taxes and all are added, but Cricket's price already includes taxes.

The upfront cost of going Cricket is the phone (an unlocked GSM phone can be used), a SIM card ($10 or .99 if you bring your own phone and port in your number), $35 activation, and your first month's payment.

Back
Top Bottom