Anyone else planning on getting an Asus Zenfone 2?

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I am talking about the ZE551ML model, available in the 2GB/16GB and 4GB/64GB flavors. For those who are not familiar with this phone take a look here: Phones | ZenFone 2 (ZE551ML) | ASUS Global The ZF2 can be ordered for the US from Asus USA, B&H Photo, Newegg, Groupon, and Amazon). In Canada you can order from Newegg.ca, Canada Computers, Memory Express, and NCIX.

I ordered mine upon the US release (19 May), received it on 21 May. I got the red 4GB/64GB version from B&H Photo, $299 w/free expedited shipping. I am thoroughly enjoying mine thus far and will be writing up a practical review on it in the very near future.

41E5ulJsH5L.jpg

I also ordered several cases for my ZF2. So far I have tried out a Sparin Ultra Slim case, an Amzer TPU case, an Einzige windowed cover case, and a Nilkin clear soft TPU case. I still have a different windowed cover case on its way. I also ordered a pack of Sojitek HD screen protectors and a Monoy tempered glass screen protector. So far I like the Nilkin case the best and I have not bothered to open the Sojitek screen protectors as the tempered glass protector came in first and I had already installed it.

I figured I would see if anyone else plans on getting this gem of a phone. If you then post about it. Things like where you ordered from, which version, and such. I hope I am not the only one jumping on the ZF2 bandwagon.

Last edited:
What other phones have you used before, and how does it compare to those? I currently use a Note 4, and I love it. However, I do admit that I miss the iPhone as well (sometimes).

I've had a Galaxy S II, Samsung Centura, LG Nitro, and LG Optimus G Pro. The OGP would be considered a semi top end phone of its time. I also have an iPhone 5c from work (ugh).

The ZF2 compares closely to the OGP spec-wise but leaves it behind performance-wise. The only thing I can really fault it on is that the screen is not very bright; it is good enough for me but it wouldn't be great in direct sunlight. The battery life on the OGP was great as it had a 3140mAh battery so I could go all day without killing it. The ZF2 has a 3000 battery and seems to be doing good but Lollipop is a battery hog (used 29.4% of the battery by itself today). I am hoping a future update will correct that as it seems to be a widespread problem with Lollipop.

Back
Top Bottom