android phone questions

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
well, it has taken me 6 months, but i finally own a "smart" phone. i got it as an early fathers day present. i needed a very inexpensive plan, so i knew already it was going to have to be tracphon. the phone is a Samsung Galaxy Centura, running Android 4.0.4 . i already know it is way less than optimum, but it is a huge jump forward from my old flip phone. anyway, i am having some issues, i am sure because of my inexperience. 1) i would imagine that i need some sort of anti-virus-spyware-malware, but i have not a clue as to which one is good. 2) i have already gotten a ad that pops up from a weather download, so i will need an ad blocker too. 3) i tried to acess this site from it, and a window came back that said i should download the app, so i did. when it was done installing, i got a window that said the phone had gotten a message back that may have been about a plug in that might be needed. which was strange. so i backed up and tried to access this site again, and all i get is a white screen. so i am not sure what is up with that. 4) i have found no shortage of daily planners out there. but i have not found one that has any kind of audible alarm for apointments. can anyone point me in the right direction??? thats it so far, but i am sure there will be more as time passes.

If you root the phone you can download and install AdFree which will block all the ads.

I have used Lookout for my mobile AV before. I am currently using Dr. Safety (TrendMicro's mobile AV), but there are several put out by well known names like AVG, Avira, Kaspersky, Eset, Norton, etc. All of them are free for the basic version.

The app for this site is currently borked. You can use Tapatalk, though. It is an app for forums in general, just search for Techist.

I have no idea about planners. I just set alarms when I need them.

I used to have the Centura... still do in a drawer somewhere. Decent little phone, good one to learn on.

Last edited:
ok, what does "root"the phone mean? and of course, how do i do that? i would LOVE to block ALL ads from everything i own!

ok, what does "root"the phone mean? and of course, how do i do that? i would LOVE to block ALL ads from everything i own!

Rooting = installing Superuser binaries / executables onto the phone's system partition. You'll need to look up rooting guides for your SPECIFIC phone (model / carrier / Android version), as the exploits are different for each.

As for the planner...why not just add appointments onto your Google Calendar? You can then set reminder notifications to pop up through the Calendar app, and it will be synced across your account (so you can also access it on your computer).

OK, for your phone...

Go to Setting > Security > check the box beside "Unknown Sources"

Type in this URL in your phone's browser of choice:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vyn7mv413nnm3cv/poot-debug.apk

Go to Downloads on your phone. Tap the downloaded APK, choose to install and then to open it.

2) Now open the poot app then it will require you to install Ministro II, Simply follow the link to Google play store.

3) Then you will be required to update ministro library, please update it.

4) Once you updated the Ministro Library then you will be faced with two options;
1. “Press here to Poot”
2. “Built in root check”

5) Click on the first option which is “Press here to Poot” and after a while, You are going to face with three options.

1. Get Superuser
2. Get root-checker
3. In-built rootchecker

6) Press Get superuser and download superuser app.

7) And finally do a reboot to take effect

8) Congrats you have rooted your phone now

You might have to run POOT a couple of times.

Once you are rooted you can download AdFree and install it. SuperUser will ask for permission for AdFree so grant it. There you go.

wow, that is very much appreciated! talk about going the extra mile. before i do this, i have one question. if i make a mistake in this process, is there a way to restore my phone to where it was? android is a totally new thing to me. and being the phone is new, if i mess it up, i will have to deal with angry family!

as far as the planner goes, i have already put things into google calendar, and synched it to my phone. but i am not getting any audible notifications, despite setting the labs to do so. maybe there is something i need to do in my phone in order to get them???

wow, that is very much appreciated! talk about going the extra mile. before i do this, i have one question. if i make a mistake in this process, is there a way to restore my phone to where it was? android is a totally new thing to me. and being the phone is new, if i mess it up, i will have to deal with angry family!
Depends on what stage you mess it up...but generally as long as you follow instructions it's pretty easy to do.

as far as the planner goes, i have already put things into google calendar, and synched it to my phone. but i am not getting any audible notifications, despite setting the labs to do so. maybe there is something i need to do in my phone in order to get them???

Yes you need to setup notification settings in the Calendar app on your phone. Frequency, notification sound, etc.

You can most certainly reset the phone to factory defaults. Great instructions are here: How to Reset Your Android Phone: 8 Steps (with Pictures)

As for restoring backwards, as you're going through the setup you obviously either signed in or created a Google account. Be sure to sync stuff to that account (and of course, use a good password). This way, if you have to wipe the phone, you just sign in and everything syncs back (those things that you choose to sync).

Personally, I have my photos/videos synced to OneDrive via Microsoft (it uploads new items every time I'm connected to WiFi) and then contacts and calendar appointments with Google. This works great for me. The rest of the stuff can be redone.

My two cents on the antivirus software is don't run it. I've personally seen more issues with it than anything. Just use caution when downloading and opening files just like anywhere else. Just be sure that you put the settings back where you were told earlier to change it as this can more easily allow an infection:

Go to Setting > Security > check the box beside "Unknown Sources"

Most of the time, unless you are otherwise told, you will be installing apps from a known source and will not need to allow an unknown. Just use good judgement and, when in doubt, ask for help! :cool:

I've personally never installed an anti-virus on a phone, nor had a problem with getting a virus... maybe I've just been lucky!

I think AdBlock are making/have made their own internet browser which might help you out, the adblocker should be integrated into it already.

Back
Top Bottom