WARNING: Chrome OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmannawar

In Runtime
This is not a hate post but it is informational. I personally know a tester of the new "chromebook" (not yet released), and his response to it was not good. It runs Googles own Chrome OS, and is not bad as far as looks. If you are reading this, then most likely you are not the target crowd. It is mainly based off of the internet. The best way to use it, is mainly for emails and social websites like facebook or google plus. There a many problems to it however. Although it has a developers mode, and if you want you can spend the time to completely wipe it and install another OS... It is still very limiting. A major problem is EVERTHING uses the internet. This brings up the problem that if your files aren't on your computer, than are they really yours? Gmail already scans your emails for key words for advertisements so who knows whats next... Not to mention Google Chrome has been hacked a couple times and although little damage was done, the hackers were able to get a list of google users (like me), but as far as I know left them alone (I dont know much about the incident, feel free to correct me). Finally the most important flaw... Helplessness. If your internet shuts off then you cant do a thing. You can't code, write documents, go on the internet, or use any of the applications. Many people now and then experience the internet going out, and this would be a major problem. So if you plan to mainly use the web browser, and don't use your computer very much, this is the computer for you! If not... get a PC or mac!

Source for everything, otherwise, this is nothing but non-sense and junk. We already know that the Google OS is a cloud based OS, and most all of us know it will not be going anywhere in the near future.

Sorry to pop the bubble but Chromebooks are released.

NewEgg has 4 of them up for sale right now.

Plus it has been known since its announcement that it was a Cloud based OS that would require the Internet for just about everything. We have had a topic on the Beta Models, the CR-48, since February of last year.

Not to mention there is a way to use local storage. Granted that the internal storage is limited, but it has a SD Card reader built in so you can extend it like you can almost any Android Tablet. Plus not everything requires online, there is offline access to things as well. You just have to set it up that way. I know that this can be done cause I have offline mode for Google Docs setup on my phone, I know if I can do that with my phone than it can be done with Chrome OS and the Chromebooks as well.

The major flaw I see in your post is this. Helplessness. You can still do things, in offline mode then sync them when you get access again. But the one thing that gets me, it doesnt matter if you have a Chromebooks or any internet connected device. If your internet goes down, then you cant connect no matter which device you use. So how is this helplessness limited to only the Chromebook? That is a wide spread problem to all devices. But at the same time there are other alternatives. Using your 3G or 4G data on your phone can connect you in a pinch. It is highly unlikely that your home internet and the data network will be down at the same time. There is free hotspots at places like McDonalds, Tim Horton's (Local coffee shop) and much more. So just go to such a place, buy a cup of coffee and use their internet if you dont have access to your own at the time.

I can see your concern, but the truth is that the problems you talk about are ones that have already been addressed. Offline mode is able to be used now for almost everything. Sure you wont be able to play your game of Angry Birds on your Chromebooks, but your smart phone has it anyways, right? The internet being down is a problem for everything and is not limited to just this device. I know several people on such sites as BetaNews have had several write ups about how they still use their Chromebooks despite the lack of internet access.

The truth behind it all is this. You need to research and know what your buying before you buy. Dotn get a Chromebook thinking that it is just another laptop. It isnt. It is a device that requires internet to do the majority of things. People who buy such devices know this and are prepared for what the device will be limited to. If not, then that is the buyers fault for not doing their part researching their purchase before buying. The person buying the device needs to know before they buy what they are getting. You wouldnt just walk onto a car lot and buy a used car without first finding out any information on it, would ya? I dont think so. You would take it for a test drive, get the car facts and do your homework before you purchase. The same type of things needs to be done with a purchase of any PC/Mac/Tablet/Phone or other device you want to use. Dont just walk in, buy it and then get upset when it doesnt do what you expect it to. That is your fault for not knowing or understanding your purchase.

You would be amazed at how many times at work, I work at Walmart, that I get people returning stuff cause they failed to check the device out before purchase and get upset when it doesnt do what they expect. When I have to deny them the return and flat out tell them that they are at fault for not knowing or asking question before the purchase they get upset with me cause they failed to do the most simple and basic things. Ask or find out about the purchase before hand. It isnt that difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom