Razer Project Christine.

Drogos

Daemon Poster
I looked here but dint find any post about it. I'm wondering if anyone have any thoughts about this new modular pc system.
To me it looks interesting and it could have potential for great pc gaming if it delivers as they say it will.

Concept Project Christine

Interesting concept, but it seems kind of gimmicky to me and I don't see any real need for it. PCs are already pretty modular, this kind of just takes it a step further. If they can keep the cost down then there may be some value in simplifying the build/upgrade process further, although it's already quite simple as it is.

I also think that the display unit is ugly as sin.

yeah i really like the concept it made me think of my buddy that scared to build his own hes so used to buying prebuilt and that's most likely what this is going to target. as the design im not against it but im sure there will be more styles. I'm curious how much is going to cost vs upgrade traditional gaming rigs.

I posted about it in OT.

No, there is absolutely NOTHING on the market that even comes close to this concept. It's more than modular, it's completely sealed and oil cooled meaning it needs no fans. There is NO worry of upgrade for any non-experienced user despite the previously mentioned. You want to add a 2nd or 3rd GPU? Just order one up and plug it in. No cables, no mess, no worry, plug and play. Upgrade the motherboard/CPU/RAM? Upgrade the PSU and cooling? Sure, just order the better version, pop out old one, put new one in. No confusion about what to buy, no worries about mess or plugging in cables. IMO if it's priced right (which it won't be because it's Razer) it's the ultimate console killer. If something like this was to become mainstream it would IMO completely change the PC market as we know it. I'm a total DIY enthusiast (just look at my avatar) and even I would switch to this methodology.

The screen is ugly sure, but it's touch based and the idea behind it is brilliant. It simplifies the dual boot process by just a touch of a screen. The design of the unit itself is nowhere near finalized as this is pure concept or pre-alpha if you will. It's just a working example to show you exactly what they mean because I have seen a whole forum (TPU) not get what the idea is behind it by simply reading words. Hell even I didn't realize how awesome this thing was until I saw Linus describe it at CES with the video truly explaining the brilliance behind it. I thought it was a Level 10 copy, but I was totally wrong and put in awe.

yeah this could be a hell of game changer. i finished my pc the way i want for a now i dont plan on upgrading or changing anything unless is necessary. if this is out by the time im ready for a whole new build ill most likely go for this if priced right like you said. if this goes well think about how all other things are going to go this way at least the sealed liquid cooled parts.

I think it would be nice to have, yet I am unsure about the architecture.

Here is my issues with it,
you are limited to buying only rayzor approved mods for the system, unlike me now, lets say I have a itch to scratch and it involves switching out my video cards from radeon to Nvida...
or lets say motherboard processor from amd to intel

now on the plus side,
what if my proc mod I can switch on the fly between intel amd amd with out having to change out the board? What if I can combine two docks and up grade them both....

at this point there isnt much but a great idea, that if released right with the right options could transform the standards of personal computing, yet like a lot of cool concepts some one will frak ot up and we as consumers will get the blunt end of it... dreamcast anyone o,0?

dude I loved the dreamcast! anyway, I checked out christine, and I love the setup! I would buy it almost for the sheer novelty of it! it is faintly remniscent of the lvl 10, but it's truly integrated. the pin setup for hot swapping hardware is awesome! I do agree with trioxin, it does seem like it would have to be only razer approved hardware, unless they had some type of plug in for the boxes that talks to the pins as the interface. this would likely point to an extra connection that could fail. I dunno, if it worked it'd be amazing.

The modular system is PCI-E based and the adjoining boards would all have to be custom but I'm pretty sure Razer wouldn't limit their models to just being one sided. I mean this is just purely concept but with the idea put in front of you which is what I give Razer credit for. I don't much like their products, but like with the Blade or concept cars they actually make the product to give you a visual idea.

Then again, I look at this more towards console people rather than the hardcore DIY enthusiasts who think it would limit their choices or ideas. Being one of those people the simplicity of popping one thing out and putting in another sounds nice too.

true mguire. on the one hand testing different systems would be really easy, on the other how much limitations will the end user have on this system. that is my biggest problem with Mac products, laptops, and the mobile device market... I can't put what I want into them, and in order to upgrade i have to get a completely new device. that is a huge turn-off for me, but that's the price you pay for convenience, which is what Christine is... it's a convenience builders option

true mguire. on the one hand testing different systems would be really easy, on the other how much limitations will the end user have on this system. that is my biggest problem with Mac products, laptops, and the mobile device market... I can't put what I want into them, and in order to upgrade i have to get a completely new device. that is a huge turn-off for me, but that's the price you pay for convenience, which is what Christine is... it's a convenience builders option
Not real sure what you mean by that statement. The point of the modular system is to upgrade specifically individual components when you want. What they may or may not have hardware wise for the machine is a different story.
Or better yet, whether or not the final (if actually made) product will be anything like this.

My general understanding from watching several videos and reading articles is this machine is meant to be like DIY machines, but with the added modular functionality which includes the no fan oil cooling and simplicity of plug and play. So I would be willing to bet they would have a slew of hardware options on hand like pre-built machine builders but instead you get what you want for your machine, they pop it in the module with oil and ship it off to you after testing.

Back
Top Bottom