Magnetic Hover board?

Calerock903

Beta member
So....just joined and I wanted to express my idea some place and I thought here would be a good idea. So, here it is. I think it might be possible to create a functioning hover board using magnets. Now the setup I've thought us isn't that practical. It involves laying down really long a sheet of magnet (Positive or negative, your choice) on a surface, and then more magnets (Yet again charge is your choice) under a board of some type. I haven't applied actual science or physics to this yet, which is why this is just an idea. So, thoughts?

Well unless you fall over and everything metal in your pockets sticks you to the ground, And if the board flips over you may not be able to get it off the magnets seeing the strength of the magnets needed to hold up the weight of a person but would be fun if it would work.

Is already being done. there is in fact multiple versions of magnetic hover boards out there.
I would love to see this stuff get better.

They made a working prototype in Spain with liquid nitrogen cooled magnets, obviously ridiculously impractical for your average user :p plus it required a full metal skate park to ride around in (which is now dismantled).

IIRC another kickstarter also did a promo vid with tony hawk, again don't see that going too far though.

Tbh, magnets just won't cut it, especially permanent magnets. With some super powerful electromagnets you might have a chance, but we don't have power storage good enough for that kind of application yet either.

TL;DR, lots of tech still to be invented before this idea becomes remotely practical

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom