Gmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lostman said:
not to add fuel to the fire or anything but Google also states that they can keep your emails even after you have closed your account. I like the idea of that much storage, but don't care for my emails being held against my will.

Have you ever read other email provider's privacy statements? They all (or most...at least) do this...because of methods used to create backups.

Most major companies that possess important data in their servers create tape drive backups regularly. These tapes are not accessed unless there is a need to recover the data. Imagine a fire destroys Microsoft's Hotmail storage servers...wouldn't Hotmail's millions of users appreciate NOT loosing all of their email? The reason they have to say that they are allowed to do so in the user agreement is because they may very well have the data on the backup tapes for a certain amount of time until the next backup is created...that means that deleted emails and even deleted accounts will exist for a period of time after their "removal".

Good point qiran. However, I think the most obtrusive thing is their scripts searching through email and determining the best ad to display. Well worth the sacrifice for 1000 MB. I'm gonna have to try the huge attachment thing. I will report back later my findings. I will try and attach 100 MB, my bet is if that works then it's safe to say any size attachment will be allowed :)

Gmail on Ebay!!

IF you WAN't a gMail acount right now you can get one on eBay for aobut a dollar but they go up to $200 for names like "Hacker" or "ComputerGuy." It would suck is some one would to buy that name and then get whiped when gMail goes public.

the good thing bout gmail is it's free... so i defintely won't buy an account on ebay, that's stupid.
Gmail looks and sounds good in my opinion!

DementedElf said:
Any idea when it goes public?

I'm not sure if that was directed to me or not. But... to answer your question, I'm not sure. They are still implementing various features such as:
Automatic forwarding, Plain HTML version of gmail, and Import / Export contacts.

I can speculate allthough it may or may not be way off. I'd say more than a month.

Do you know if it is true that Google has suspended invits because of the ebay auctions?

I know that everyone has been bombarded by people asking for invits and/or have sold them on ebay butÂ…

If someone has an invite it would be greatly appreciated since I tend to be the techie in my circle of friends and family they rely on me for the latest

e_ryanscott@gbronline.com

Ok all ... I'm selling a couple invites on ebay, I'm not sure if this counts as solicitation or not, I wouldn't even mind if it sells just enough to cover the listing charges. But.. for those of you so eager to get a gmail account and impress your friends you can watch my two listings here:

Listing 1
Listing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom