7.2k rpm vs 10k rpm vs 15k rpm hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
i want to know how good are those hard disk like 7.2k rpm 10k rpm 15k rpm hard drives i know the faster the better but what actually makes it better and does it makes booting windows faster? is it worth buying it? and also why is it like 37gb 74gb 146 gb etc not like 7.2k rpm hard disk like 40gb 80gb 120 gb 160gb 250gb 320gb etc i want a detailed explanation of those hard disk thanks.

Anything with a faster RPM is going to boot things faster. As of right now Im not sure if it is worth it. The thing you need to understand, is that is it worth paying the substantially high price of brand new tech equipment just for a little bit more speed?
Its just the RPM that is changed.

The numbers are off like that because of something to do with the buffer? Im not positive though. Someone has to explain that part for ya.

High RPM hard disks have been around for years and years (SCSI disks). It's not just the RPM that is different. SCSI disks have Native Command Queing and other features.
SATA also supports NCQ but is still outperformed by SCSI (and SAS, the successor of SCSI).

The high RPM disks have smaller capacity because they use smaller platters (diameter). If they would use regular 3.5" platters they would probably explode.

that would be interesting to see. are there any high rpm hard drives that use the newer parallel recording technology? wouldn't that compensate for the small platters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom