What are you listening to/watching now?

Re: What are you watching now?

OK - thanks for the info. guys. I will give it a few more tries. Considering I have watched nearly all "the last ship" episodes -hoping it would get better = didn't really happen.

However, I may not "get it" as hikaricloud says because I am a white hetero sexual middle aged guy who doesn't really get "white privilege" either. . to me people are people - both good and bad and that does not depend on race, age, religion, sexuality or anything else. Sure we all have our "presets" due to experience and upbringing. But, I try very hard to treat all equal and offend no one. Other than those uppity Console Gamers--- LOL.

PS - not starting any heated discussion- just pointing out an example of even pretending to be a jerk and how easy and quickly we all get defensive when we read or see or hear something we may not agree with or like. It does not matter your race, age, sex, sexuality, etc. it is pretty easy to offend someone now-a-days as everyone is pretty sensitive and gets offended easily.

It took me like 4 episodes to really start to grasp the show. Then again basically the whole first season I didn't want to watch it at all, but kept watching it. The second season is a lot better.

However, I may not "get it" as hikaricloud says because I am a white hetero sexual middle aged guy who doesn't really get "white privilege" either. . to me people are people - both good and bad and that does not depend on race, age, religion, sexuality or anything else. Sure we all have our "presets" due to experience and upbringing. But, I try very hard to treat all equal and offend no one. Other than those uppity Console Gamers--- LOL.

PS - not starting any heated discussion- just pointing out an example of even pretending to be a jerk and how easy and quickly we all get defensive when we read or see or hear something we may not agree with or like. It does not matter your race, age, sex, sexuality, etc. it is pretty easy to offend someone now-a-days as everyone is pretty sensitive and gets offended easily.

I get what you mean. Thing is, privilege isn't something that necessarily speaks to whether someone is good or bad, it's just something that exists based on the world we live in. Someone can have all the good intentions in the world and treat everyone equally, but it won't change the privilege someone has unless the way the world works changes. It's what you do with that privilege (or what you don't do) in my opinion that shows what kind of person you are.

In saying that, just because you may not "get" the show, doesn't make you a bad person, it just means it's not for you, that's all.

Ya, never really even had a thought of whether I was a good or bad person based on if I liked or disliked the show. I still totally do not get the term "privileged" - not familiar with the term and therefore ignorant of its meaning. Are your actually saying that it refers to the economic position that some one is born into = my age group would refer to that person as a "silver spoon" ? Which is not really a derogatory term -just a fact - as you cant choose what economic status your born in to. If so, then I am confused as you stated Larry was a "white privilege" = referring to his race ( I assume) rather than referring to his born into or current economic status. I believe Larry is the white/Jewish fiance with the wealthy parents if I remember correctly- as I said I only saw the first episode. So, are you saying that all white people have "white privilege" or is it just a new slang term that I am not aware of that really just means a born rich ( silver spoon) and as an adult they have never had to really work for anything, they are "protected " by their economic status/wealth from dealing with many of the hardships of life that a person born poor would have to deal with = a spoiled person ? So, can a person of any race can be "white privileged"?

Or is it a term that is a really a racist term that basically characterizes all whites the same? Just because they were born white? So the color of a persons skin gives them a privilege in society just because they are white? hmm.... Certainly the higher percentage of wealthy Americans are indeed white - so I guess a term could be used to suggest that economic fact. Interesting.... as I said I have never heard that term before - probably suggesting my growing up in a white lower middle class suburb of Minneapolis Mn, my age, and that I have always lived in a predominantly white area. So, that term would probably refer to someone like me. However, you used in in a very derogatory way when referring to Larry - so is there more to it than being born Caucasian?

Privilege isn't just white, it can be about a lot of things, but one of the largest is white. The easiest way to explain a part of privilege is when you as a person don't have to think/worry about something that someone else would have to based on your race/gender/social standing/wealth/etc. For example, wealthy privilege is obvious, rich people don't really go to jail for committing some really serious crimes. An example of white privilege would be something like being able to walk down a street in certain cities or states without being hassled/arrested/shot by police (lot of that going on lately).

When talking about Larry (yes, Piper's fiance, you see more about how bad he is later on), I only said it like that because he kinda revels in it even though he sort of realizes he has it (as I said, it depends on how you use or don't use it that shows the type of person you are).

It takes a long time to realize this sort of thing. I'm white, and it's taken me this long to figure this stuff out myself. Acknowledging that privilege exists isn't about degrading caucasians (not saying it doesn't ever happen mind you) but at least for me it's changed the way I look at the world and certain things, like media/music/movies/etc and how a lot of it is catered to heterosexual white males.

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail this topic, sorry about that. I'm glad that we were able to have a civil discussion about this though, it's something I've been coming to terms with myself slowly over the past year or two having never really thought about it, being a heterosexual white male myself lol. Probably a good idea to leave it here just to be safe, rules and all.

If you are interested in reading more about it, there's a wikipedia entry that's fairly informative:

Privilege (social inequality))

ON TOPIC

PP is right, the second season of Orange is the New Black is actually a lot better than the first...and it's also a lot less Piper-centralized lol. My favorite episodes in Season 1 are The Chickening and F***sgiving.

Rewatched the new Doctor Who episode last night...loving Capaldi as the new Doctor. There's some stuff I'm iffy about but overall I enjoyed it. I'm really liking how Capaldi is sticking it to Moffat and I hope it continues. Not sure how I feel about the character at the end though, the one who looks like she could be Irene Addler's older sister? Ugh. The only way I can see myself being okay with this character so far is if it's actually Patience (the baddie in this episode at some point did refer to the Doctor as "The Other" at some point...even though it was a shortening of "the other one", they're normally really good about throwing in small tidbits like that).

Also for other whovians out there...did anyone else catch all the references to Donna Noble? Just sayin'.

Besides that, finished rewatching all the episodes out so far for Defiance season 2...ugggggghhhhhhh I can't wait for tomorrow.

Been rewatching King of the Hill (I tell ya whhat). Propane and propane accessories.

Dale is probably my favorite character on there...lol.

Back
Top Bottom