What does 3G mean in cell phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbcohen

Banned
Does a 3G get better reception then one that is not marked as 3G? What is better about a 3G cell phone?

3G basically makes improvements over the previous generation of data transfer rates. In the case of laptop cards (with AT&T), EDGE network gets you at most 3 times the speed of dial-up (between 80-160kbps) while 3G allows an average of 400-700kbps, with bursts of up to 1.4mbps (Depending on your signal strength, of course). Not sure of the exact speed increases for cell phones, but it's noticeable, especially if you have an iPhone 3G.

The next step up from 3G is HSPA, which is currently in a couple major metropolitan areas. It's my belief the new iPhone coming out will have that sort of connection capability.

There are also some talks about improving the existing 3G network, I believe it's called "3GPP2". It would run on the same 3G phones that are currently out, with faster speeds for data transfer.

Some companies are talking about working on a form of "4G", namely Sprint, if I recall...reviving the "WiMax" project, but I highly doubt it's going to survive again.

So to sum up and actually answer your question:

As far as reception goes, now that we have moved to an all digital network (analog being blammed) I've noticed better reception in 3G areas, but mostly in call clarity, not so much in signal strength. The main improvements are on the data speeds.

Sorry for the long post, I've just been working for AT&T for too long, haha.

EDIT: Luke, I lol'd hard. I actually get people walking in all the time thinking it means "3gig". They actually call it that. Not to mention they call SIM cards "SIMS card".

Well on cell phones its most frequent use is on video calls and internet which become accessible because of the higher speed it provides than normal 2G networks..

^in a nutshell lol.

Funny thing, my sister thought that 3g ment that the phone had 3gb's of onboard storage on it......

Heard this so many times... it's an extremely common misconception apparently.

Sprint may have some prototypes of WiMax in some cities, but I don't really see them financially keeping the project afloat for long, with their financial troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom