Surfing Face Book While Sick = Loss Of Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Technology & Business | Broadband Business | News | Facebook surfing while sick costs Swiss woman job

Facebook surfing while sick costs Swiss woman job

"The abuse of trust, rather than the activity on Facebook, led to the ending of the work contract," said her employer.

ZURICH (Reuters) - A Swiss insurance worker lost her job after surfing popular social network site Facebook while off sick, her employer said on Friday.

The woman said she could not work in front of a computer as she needed to lie in the dark but was then seen to be active on Facebook, which insurer Nationale Suisse said in a statement had destroyed its trust in the employee.

"This abuse of trust, rather than the activity on Facebook, led to the ending of the work contract," it said.

The unnamed woman told the 20 Minuten daily she had been surfing Facebook in bed on her iPhone and accused her employer of spying on her and other employees by sending a mysterious friend request which allows access to personal online activity.

Nationale Suisse rejected the accusation of spying and said the employee's Facebook activity had been stumbled across by a colleague in November, before use of the social network site was blocked in the company.

If you are too sick to be infront of a computer at your job, then you are too sick to be at home in front of your computer on face book.
As for employers check out facebook to see what thier employees are doing? Facebook uses pretty much let every other stranger look at them online. What make employer's so different?

I don't think it matters why you take a day off from work. You could just want to watch a sporting event, read a book, play a video game or run a marathon.

If you take a day off from work, you take a day off. The reason shouldn't be any business of your employer.

Sitting in front of a computer all day at work vs. checking your facebook are greatly different. It just goes to show that social networking sites like facebook have vastly become too powerful. You can't run and you can't hide if you are going to be active in social networking sites. People need to smarten up when it comes to those things.

The days of going to a baseball game when you said you are sick, then have your boss see you on TV during the recap are over.... lol

If you call in SICK then you shouldn't be doing anything other than resting and sleeping/drinking juices and water. If you call in for personal reasons, it would be different IMO

She used the computer as her reason, but was seen active on a website. While I don't agree with the action taken, she was definitely caught in a lie.

What I do outside of work is outside of work. I would sue the company and my boss for wrongful discharge if it were me.

If you earn sick days from your employer, you should be entitled to use them anyway you see fit...even if you arent sick. i did this the other day because it was my dad's bday and i didnt feel like working....needed a day off.

As long as you provide plenty of time for them to schedule someone else to fill that spot.

It doesn't seem right, but the Swiss have a lot of other perks in there business system that people in America don't. I guess they gotta balance things out somehow.

If you earn sick days from your employer, you should be entitled to use them anyway you see fit...even if you arent sick. i did this the other day because it was my dad's bday and i didnt feel like working....needed a day off.

As long as you provide plenty of time for them to schedule someone else to fill that spot.

You are confusing Sick Leave for Rostered Day Off (or RDO)

You are confusing Sick Leave for Rostered Day Off (or RDO)

Nope..theyre my hours, ill do with them as i please :).

I have two RDO's each week, and i gain a set amount of annual leave hours and sick leave hours. Those hours are earned with my check, based on how many hours i work and therefore i use them as i see fit.

If we are not meant to use them, then they shouldn't be given. Ive been working at this job since December and have earned 25 annual hours and 25 sick hours...and i used 5 hours on a Saturday because i didn't feel like going in, and will be using my annual leave hours in whole for a vacation coming up in july.

Nope..theyre my hours, ill do with them as i please :).

Come down to your Conditions Of Employment Aggreement between you and your employeer. I am sure that if i my boss caught me going to the cinema on a day that I called in sick on, I am sure he will be having words with me.
Then again, I get 28 days holiday leave each year, plus another 5 days sick leave. My unused holiday leave rolls over into the new year, my sick leave does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom