IT staff needed or not

hamuod

Beta member
I have currently 75 desktop users and and 8 exch/dc/etc servers , 2 firewalls,2 routers , 14 printers, 50 smart phones, 100 normal phones, 30 ip cameras, 2 storage arrays.

in addition I take care of mobile sims new/suspend/credit limit, backups, testing backups, vpn support to remote users, erp support, keep inventory, wireless connectivity support, talking to vendors, saving cost by buying the best hardware or solution., controlling cost for IT, off office hours support., testing new software,
I just want to know if it will be good decession to get 1 desktop support guy to help me ? currently I am alone doing all this.

With a system that large I'd say so! What happens if you're sick, or take a holiday, and an important service crashes?

I'd hire someone to work part time to start off with - maybe 6 hour days or 4 days a week etc. Then you'll have someone who knows the system, knows the users, knows what to do if XYZ happens etc, and you can probably organise with them to cover full time if/when you decide you need some time off.

Then *if* you need to, you could always expand their position to be full time if you saw it would be beneficial

I just want to know if it will be good decession to get 1 desktop support guy to help me ? currently I am alone doing all this.

I would hire a deskside support lvl 1-2 guy to do all your every day stuff which does not require authorization.
Eg. Password resets. re-images, replacing stolen mice, turning it off and on again.

This will allow you to focus on more important level 2-3 things.

It honestly depends on how needy your end users are and how much time the systems you support take up. If you have to ask i'm going to assume then you probably need some help.

As others have said i would suggest getting a desktop support guy that can help end users and phone issues. That will allow you to focus on other higher level items as well as take a vacation.

I would agree on a helpdesk guy for part-time for now - to see how things go.

But how heavy is your workload? you may want a 2nd line guy as he will be able to provide more support if disasters happen or out of hours emergencies..

Back
Top Bottom