Potentially the longest thread in history... - Page 5756 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Member's Area > Off Topic Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #57551 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Default Re: Potentially the longest thread in history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanmx View Post
Well I think this place is well and truly dead. Sad times. It had a good run this past decade or so. The owners should pull the plug rather than just let it rot away.
Yeah that was a good long while with no meaningful posts

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell[/SIZE]
Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #57552 (permalink)
Newb Techie

For how long the forum is running ? Just curious

Old 08-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #57553 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanno View Post
For how long the forum is running ? Just curious
March 1st, 2002
Win10 Pro x64 / Razer Mamaba Wireless / Tecware 87 Key Mechanical
3xSceptre E255B-1658A 24.5" 165Hz + NEC MultiSync LCD1970GX 19" (in 3+1 configuration)

R.I.P. Father Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:15 PM   #57554 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I decided I am going to archive this site... Hopefully... Hard to find simple solutions for making an offline HTML based archive.

Wonder how large this forum really is *thinks*...

Have HTTrack going, wish it would build an index of things first, then do everything else so I could figure out the size this is going to be.

Now that I think about it, I am waiting for my IP to get banned for the rapid URL loading... lol
c0rr0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #57555 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Just get a back up of the forums data base... you may need help from an Admin on that
Old 08-28-2019, 12:51 AM   #57556 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I have a feeling that wouldn't work out well for two reasons...

1: What web-master would give a copy of a websites contents(the database) to someone freely? None that I know of.

2: For it to be usable, I would have to setup another website on my LAN with the same software we use here, or software that is compatible...

An archive is just that, an archive, nothing usable except for being able to read things.

Right now I am at about 1GB of used data, and basically only 3-4 links deep on everything, yes I would love to get a copy of the database (strip anything private out?) and host it on a private server in read-only mode for archival purposes. But I also don't have a desire to drop money on vBulletin.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #57557 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Just get a back up of the forums data base... you may need help from an Admin on that

The only admins that have backend access are the owners...who 2+ years ago said we were going to switch off of vBulletin and onto something modern like Xenforo.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #57558 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
I have a feeling that wouldn't work out well for two reasons...

1: What web-master would give a copy of a websites contents(the database) to someone freely? None that I know of.

2: For it to be usable, I would have to setup another website on my LAN with the same software we use here, or software that is compatible...

An archive is just that, an archive, nothing usable except for being able to read things.

Right now I am at about 1GB of used data, and basically only 3-4 links deep on everything, yes I would love to get a copy of the database (strip anything private out?) and host it on a private server in read-only mode for archival purposes. But I also don't have a desire to drop money on vBulletin.
This is good, but as time goes on (especially with tech) this data will become out dated..... Like how many peeps look for anything related to XP or Vista?
Old 08-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #57559 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You would be surprised what people try to dig up for various reasons. Who knows, maybe in 5-10 years someone will need to know something on XP or Vista, or Win7 and it might be information hosted only here, or be available here in an archive format. You never know what the future holds, hence why i like having copies of everything and information on what that stuff is available.

I mean, there are people still buying SCSI Raid Controllers for ancient machines and need "support" but a lot of buyouts make it almost impossible to find information on such things, firmware, drivers, manuals, mostly fallen into the void.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #57560 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

So your going to pay for providing downloads for these ancient devices?
Sometimes I google for drivers for ancient devices to help someone out, but a lot of times when I see a forum posting an old link, it is a 404 web page no longer in service. Are you going to do this on your own costs?
I think it's great to provide drivers for outdated SCSI devices and such things, But it would be an out of pocket cost for you to do that. Providing downloads for peeps for old hardware is not going to be free for you.
(unless your planning to use some type of adverts to support your cause)