Potentially the longest thread in history...

If one door closes and another one opens, your house is haunted and you need to GTFO.

I have a very stupid question.

Do you guys ever play with your server? So like do you ever do something on it then strip the system back and change things around or do you when having a purposes for a machine ever simply just leave it.

Because I have done so much over the years from jumping from topic to top and a lot of what I know is self taught I have never settled on a project. Take my server for example. I have just installed Ubuntu 18.04 and I'm not sure how long it will last as I have just set up a file server using various software.

Do any of you guys run multiple servers each with their own individual use.

Anyone give feed back on this?

I have a very stupid question.

Do you guys ever play with your server? So like do you ever do something on it then strip the system back and change things around or do you when having a purposes for a machine ever simply just leave it.

Because I have done so much over the years from jumping from topic to top and a lot of what I know is self taught I have never settled on a project. Take my server for example. I have just installed Ubuntu 18.04 and I'm not sure how long it will last as I have just set up a file server using various software.

Do any of you guys run multiple servers each with their own individual use.

Anyone give feed back on this?
At the moment I have my work server where I can't play with any of the hardware, but I have 384GB RAM and 4 8-core Xeons to play with so I'm happy with that.

My home server I change up fairly frequently. It's on an i5 4460T with 24GB RAM and a single 120GB SSD. I'm looking to make it more fileservery in the future but I mess around with VMs a lot - I currently have Palo Alto, FortiGate, and Windows Server 2016 VMs running on there.

For those of you with FB, mind dropping a like on my son's costume for a costume contest he's participating in? Winner gets $130 gift card, and this is his last year he's eligible to be in this one:
https://www.facebook.com/BankWestSo...571389029537/2676571865696156/?type=3&theater

His entry is "Braxton - Forest Spirit", if the above link just takes you to the album. Would really appreciate it! There's also a video in the comments if you want to see it in action.

Is there a reason the "Thanks" option is kinda locked down? I don't remember the last time I "thanked" somebody but I'm being told I need to "spread some around" before being able to give any more to that particular individual. Is that something that can be turned off?

Is there a reason the "Thanks" option is kinda locked down? I don't remember the last time I "thanked" somebody but I'm being told I need to "spread some around" before being able to give any more to that particular individual. Is that something that can be turned off?

I think it was to prevent gaming the "rep" system that was added on, which isn't really used anymore anyway. Peopleused to have a reputation meter underneath their name.

Yeup, was basically meant to prevent favoritism when the forum was still popular. These days it's pretty useless, though still nice to see a "thanks" in an inbox once in a while.

Yeup, was basically meant to prevent favoritism when the forum was still popular. These days it's pretty useless, though still nice to see a "thanks" in an inbox once in a while.

I totally agree! I like to give them as much as I like to see them given, but I also understand the logic behind keeping it kind of "locked down". No biggie, there are workarounds =]

Back
Top Bottom