Potentially the longest thread in history...

^ Yeah, I contemplated paying that, but for only a 13% improvement I don't see why I should spend 3x as much.

Player Unknown Battlegrounds. Maxed it hits around 90% usage whereas my brother's 6700k hits like 30-35% :tongue: Not sure how big of a difference it is, but most of my installs are on an HDD, his are on an SSD (I have 128GB SSD+4TB HDD, he has just the 512GB SSD) :tongue:
Easiest way to tell, check GPU usage, but it's EA so I wouldn't go out blowing wads on a new machine when they will probably fix it later. As such:

Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

If your GPU usage is 85% or higher then your not so much as bottlenecking the GPU rather than the game putting unnecessary load on the CPU.

And like I said, won't be anywhere near 13% faster. IPC in itself will be lower but Kaby and Skylake are pretty much the same when it comes to actual raw performance. 13% faster could be a number stemmed from benchmarks comparing their 18 core vs the 10 core Broadwell-E based 6950x. In all actual reality the only performance benefit gained stock to stock from SB to Kaby is raw clock speed and rare instances of instruction set support.

PP why do they reduce the clock the higher the core count gets. Is it for TDP ? thermals ? chip yield ?

I want a 4Ghz 18-core i9 ffs.

Anyone that buys a 4Ghz 18core chip is going to be happy attaching some monster mobo, psu and cooling to cope with it.

PP why do they reduce the clock the higher the core count gets. Is it for TDP ? thermals ? chip yield ?

I want a 4Ghz 18-core i9 ffs.

Anyone that buys a 4Ghz 18core chip is going to be happy attaching some monster mobo, psu and cooling to cope with it.
All of the above. It's why high core count Xeons don't have high clocks and the ones that do are stupid expensive. It's not easy exhausting that much heat out of a 3/4u chassis. Also due to power delivery on the board itself. Our current solutions can obviously handle that power delivery but not exactly reliably for typical consumer consumption. If you think about it these chips are simply rebranded Xeons with an upped multiplier. These skus are simply slapped to their 2066 socket package and rebranded.

Last edited:
Easiest way to tell, check GPU usage, but it's EA so I wouldn't go out blowing wads on a new machine when they will probably fix it later. As such:

Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

If your GPU usage is 85% or higher then your not so much as bottlenecking the GPU rather than the game putting unnecessary load on the CPU.

And like I said, won't be anywhere near 13% faster. IPC in itself will be lower but Kaby and Skylake are pretty much the same when it comes to actual raw performance. 13% faster could be a number stemmed from benchmarks comparing their 18 core vs the 10 core Broadwell-E based 6950x. In all actual reality the only performance benefit gained stock to stock from SB to Kaby is raw clock speed and rare instances of instruction set support.

I'll check it out, though I doubt it's the GPU.. Unless something's wrong with my drivers. My brother has my (your :tongue:) old 980 and he gets a solid 55-60fps where I get 20-30.

I'm really wanting to do a Mini-ITX build now. I specced out a decent 7700k Mini-ITX build.. Looks so nice.

I'll check it out, though I doubt it's the GPU.. Unless something's wrong with my drivers. My brother has my (your :tongue:) old 980 and he gets a solid 55-60fps where I get 20-30.

I'm really wanting to do a Mini-ITX build now. I specced out a decent 7700k Mini-ITX build.. Looks so nice.
Wasn't saying it's your GPU. Low GPU usage dictates CPU bottleneck. If you're playing at 1440p (I'm assuming or 4k) then realistic CPU usage should be minimal and GPU usage above 75%. If it's below that then CPU is bottlenecking graphics wise OR the game is hogging more than required CPU and GPU isn't getting what it normally would. That's why I posted the link, an update is supposed to come to reduce CPU usage.

As far as 7700k goes, can't complain it's a nice chip. If you do get it you'll be happy either way. Although for some reason I should say take a looksie at the i7 7740X.

Intrigued by this new Nvidia Max-Q tech for laptops. Want to see benchmarks.

edit:

So im at work. Some users, they just blow my mind... I can not comprehend their thought process. This just happened:

User walks over to my desk: "Hi, I need to access something on Dropbox, but I don't have access to Dropbox"
Me: "Okay, what happens when you try to login?"
User: "Well it doesn't let me, I need a license or something"
Me: "Oh right, you don't have a license, i'll see if I can assign one. Leave it with me for a few minutes"

So ofcourse, I go to Dropbox, and see that they do have a license. I go over to there desk.

Me: "Can you just show me whats happening"
User: "Sure. So I open this up (Dropbox website). I login (To the Dropbox website..) [my face is already -.-], then I go to this folder, and I open this (Excel spreadsheet), then it opens up here on my PC"
Me: "Err, right, so you can login to Dropbox. What is the issue exactly ?"
User: "Oh I thought I couldn't login to Dropbox, but your right, I think I just opened this from Dropbox. Thanks"

mfw

Last edited:
Looking forward to moving on Friday, but feeling a bit covfefe this morning.

Last edited:
I think people need to give him a bit of a break. He's 70 and using twitter. So what, he has a few typos. It's refreshing compared to normal politician talk that is rehearsed as **** and reviewed by a dozen experts before being published.

It's not even that hard to see how you get Covfefe when typing Coverage

Back
Top Bottom