Potentially the longest thread in history...

Just got done making my first crappy 2.4Ghz heatmap... Really wish there was more software that is free like this out there... Much easier if I could carry a tablet around instead of a 12 pound laptop...
f214c2f2ad8f866800f3ebb69c5d7d20.png

Just got home from a 17.38 hour workday. The sad part is that when I get up I have to turn around and go back to the store I spent most of it.

The store's Comcast modem was getting flaky so they had Comcast come and replace it. The replacement is a modem/gateway/wireless router. While installing it Comcast royally f'ed up the network, renaming IP addresses, killing a switch, and hooking the backroom server directly into the modem so that it can't talk to the rest of the network (which really didn't matter since the system uses IP addresses to "see" each other). I spend several hours straightening out the mess, replacing the switch, replacing the router as it was generating two networks somehow, renaming almost every device. I end up on the phone with Comcast twice and just need them to put their high-falutin' modem/router into bridge mode so our router can control the network and access and am finally told that it is impossible to put this device into bridge mode, period. Comcast offered two solutions: have the store pay for a static IP (19.99/month), or have the store buy their own modem from a list of approved models and have Comcast provision it for them. I wrote it out and gave it to the manager and let him know to call us once they make a decision and Comcast acts on it, and then drove 3.5 hours home.

I know she is my mom and she's done a lot for me, but she does annoy the crap out of me at times.

Some people are independent, by which they can and like doing stuff themselves. Some are not, and my mum falls into that category. Problem is she until very recently lived at home without a job and just lived off my dads income doing what she wanted most days with a good amount of disposable money to spend dolling around drinking tea with her middle class friends on a Monday afternoon.

But then they divorced, and suddenly she was thrust into this world of not having a husband to do stuff for her, while also having to work full time. We clash quite a lot because I am someone who likes to do stuff myself, and it frustrates me when other people need help with everything.

For example, 6 months ago the heater in my moms car broke. No surprise, cars break. That was fine because it was warm and in the summer. Now, if that were me, i'd have gone "well I need to fix this before winter because otherwise it's going to be ****ing cold on the way to work in Dec/Jan". So i'd take it to the garage whenever I was next off work for a few days, because I need a car during the working week. My mom does none of this. She suddenly realises in the middle of December that it's getting cold and she needs her car fixing. She has a few days left in her holiday allowance she could use, but instead she books this off to do her own stuff and see her boyfriend. And then she goes back to work, and makes it everyone elses problem. She books it in for the Christmas week, which is when her work is most busy. So now between me, my sister, and her boyfriend, we are having to juggle taking her and collecting her from work, and picking up and dropping off her car. She does this kind of thing quite a bit and it really winds me up the wrong way, she would rather inconvenience everyone else than take it out of her own time. I'd say 80% of the time if I book a week off work, she'll get some big job going so I have to sort it out. Never in her own time off, hell no. She uses that to go down and see her BF in London for the week.

I know I am probably quite harsh and most people wouldn't mind helping out. But that is just me, I like to do everything myself if I can, I don't think it's healthy to rely on people that may not be around one day soon. When my car needs a service it certainly doesn't invole three other people. I organize it myself and get it done myself without inconveniencing anyone else. She seems to think she has the hardest job in the world, because she has to stand on her feet selling jewellery from 9am til 6pm and therefor doesn't get home til 7pm. Not great hours, but hardly terrible. For example, Trotter here recently did a 17 hour day as per above, my cousin has a newborn baby and a wife working full time, and he does manual labour carpentry from 6am til 6pm six days per week. There are single moms with 2 young kids working worse hours than this, and they cope. But my mom really seems to struggle working 9am til 6pm with no-one to look after but herself. Kind of concerns me because I am saving up pretty fast now and hope to be moving out in 12 months or so. I've no idea what she will do when she can't just ask me to do stuff all the time.

Last edited:
You'll just get more phone calls / texts.

It's easier to filter those, plus there's an expectation that he won't necessarily be able to respond instantly. Just the fact that there would that gap between request for help and getting a response means there would hopefully be fewer requests.

It's easier to filter those, plus there's an expectation that he won't necessarily be able to respond instantly. Just the fact that there would that gap between request for help and getting a response means there would hopefully be fewer requests.

Judging from what he's saying - I don't think she'll have that expectation :p.

Other than my job there is nothing really keeping me in this area, so I could move pretty much anywhere in the UK. The only thing I have here is my job, but the pay is medicore and the company isn't doing great so I wouldn't be at all surprised to find myself looking for a new job in 12 months anyway. Just like my sister, I could end up living 3 or 4 hours away.

Other than my job there is nothing really keeping me in this area, so I could move pretty much anywhere in the UK. The only thing I have here is my job, but the pay is medicore and the company isn't doing great so I wouldn't be at all surprised to find myself looking for a new job in 12 months anyway. Just like my sister, I could end up living 3 or 4 hours away.

My company will be doing a massive hiring round come April, though I wholeheartedly recommend that you do not pursue working here :p

You'll just get more phone calls / texts.
Yea, I ignore 90% of these and my family know it. When I lived with them again for a few months I literally had to do everything and it bugged the **** out of me. When they lived with me after my dad died they wouldn't begin to take the trash out, let alone mow the lawn, fix the AC, fix a hot water pipe, ect. When I was at their house it was like I was the only one with a damn brain. Fix computers, fix their sprinklers, unclog their septic system (easy no stink job), help assemble a shed with clearly written out instructions, ect. My sister makes the simplest jobs sound the hardest "omg I need to go get my oil changed ugh". Like, it's a 10 minute job yourself or you go to a shop and sip free coffee while some dude does it for 20 bucks. Idk I can feel him, I really hate lazy pieces of ****.

On a different topic, idk why I buy MP games for PC anymore. I feel like my console friends are more willing to play than my PC friends. It's seriously rubbing me the wrong way that 90% of my vacation my PC has been off and my PS4 on.

Back
Top Bottom