Potentially the longest thread in history...

Yeah just read that. Still not switching over, because it'll require me to give up my unlimited data. They can pry that from my cold, dead hands [emoji14].

Sent from my HTC One

Carriers that are throttling grand-fathered users with unlimited plans if caught throttling users on non-congested sections of the network are being fined out the wazoo by the FCC...

Carriers that are throttling grand-fathered users with unlimited plans if caught throttling users on non-congested sections of the network are being fined out the wazoo by the FCC...
Doesn't stop them any, and companies like ATT are suing the FCC anyways to get that money back due to the title 2 classification.

Yep...too bad their pockets are so deep they don't care and still do it anyway, and then just pay the fine.

True, it wont stop them till the federal government backs the FCC and the FCC starts to impose even heavier fines and use those fines to actually expand network services in the nation.

As for that lawsuit deal... I honestly think and feel AT&T should lose it... The FCC was told they had to reclassify in the last lawsuit, they did, and now carriers are crying because they was reclassified.

True, it wont stop them till the federal government backs the FCC and the FCC starts to impose even heavier fines and use those fines to actually expand network services in the nation.

As for that lawsuit deal... I honestly think and feel AT&T should lose it... The FCC was told they had to reclassify in the last lawsuit, they did, and now carriers are crying because they was reclassified.
The only problem is ATT is one of the biggest companies lobbying our government. It's why they've been allowed to pull all their **** for as long as they have. I mean, our government gave them north of a billion dollars for a bailout (as well as tax incentives) to expand their networks to begin with (45Mb that never showed up anywhere, yet advertised on their site for years) and they pocketed that money and raised rates on their ****ty DSL. Their cellular service, DSL, and TV is one of the highest in the nation yet like Apple people still buy into their ****. ATT and Comcast are going to be two companies that will take a lot to bring back down to Earth.

Re: Today I have...

Yesterday I installed Win10 on my laptop. No issues thus far except ones I created myself - disabled indexing on my SSD and apparently that's also tied to how the start menu indexes a lot of the items in the new Settings app as well as control panel items..so I had to turn it back on and rebuild the index.

Meanwhile my carrier (3 UK) has rolled out free roaming (including my unlimited data) to over 40 countries, free 4G (on my unlimited data), and is soon rolling out VoLTE on their network so call quality is about to get a massive jump. Unfortunately they're now also trying to get rid of their unlimited data contracts so I might soon be in the same boat as Carnage wherein I have to always buy phones outright and keep using the same SIM if I want to keep my unlimited data. Probably not a bad move, really, now that I can afford it.

In other news, I have now made about 54 pages of handwritten notes on cell technologies, cell network architecture etc. I had to start colour-coding every acronym because cell networking is even worse than Cisco for acronyms and phrases. Here are some examples:
GERAN = GSM EDGE Radio Access Network
This reveals two sub-acronyms, for which
GSM = Global System for Mobile communications (yes, they somehow fit the word "communications" into GSM) and
EDGE = Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution
EDGE reveals a sub-sub-acronym, which is itself the first sub-acronym
So, GERAN stands for Global System for Mobile communications Enhanced Data rates for Global System for Mobile communications Evolution Radio Access Network

Similarly, there's
URA = UTRAN Registration Area
UTRAN = UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access Network
UMTS = Universal Mobile Telecommunications System
So really, URA stands for Universal Mobile Telecommunications System Terrestrial Radio Access Network Registration Area

Once you're dealing with packed acronyms like that, things like this which used to seem unwieldy become much more readable:
Inter MSC Serving RNC Relocation (MSC = Mobile Switching Center, RNC = Radio Network Controller)

Also, there are many conflicting acronyms, but here's the ones that keep annoying me:
ATM = Asynchronous Transfer Mode
NAS = Non-Access Stratum
PSI = Packet System Information
CSI = CAMEL Subscription Information (yes, CAMEL)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom