Potentially the longest thread in history...

Anyone here good with that electricity stuff ?

I want a high quality 6 plug surge protector. I found one, it supports up to 3000 watts, is individually switched etc.

But every single quality one I can find is a a 2 meter extension cable. I need 3 meters. Is there a solid reason I can only find 2 meters ? I have a 2400w aircon unit plugged into a ****ty single plug extension cable that is like 5 meters long and it seems fine, so I don't get it ?

Anyone here good with that electricity stuff ?

I want a high quality 6 plug surge protector. I found one, it supports up to 3000 watts, is individually switched etc.

But every single quality one I can find is a a 2 meter extension cable. I need 3 meters. Is there a solid reason I can only find 2 meters ? I have a 2400w aircon unit plugged into a ****ty single plug extension cable that is like 5 meters long and it seems fine, so I don't get it ?

The safe limit for extensions is 15m in the UK, so should be no issue.

I looked on Amazon and found a bunch btw. Here's a 3m;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DoubleYI-Extension-Protection-Retractable-BN-12-B/dp/B077GSCX9F/

Edit: Also this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/pro-elec-Protected-Multiboard-Extension/dp/B010DYFT4Y/

Last edited:
The safe limit for extensions is 15m in the UK, so should be no issue.

I looked on Amazon and found a bunch btw. Here's a 3m;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DoubleYI-Extension-Protection-Retractable-BN-12-B/dp/B077GSCX9F/

Edit: Also this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/pro-elec-Protected-Multiboard-Extension/dp/B010DYFT4Y/

Thanks, I was diving in and out of Amazon quickly so it looked like I wasn't just sat their browsing the web so I guess I missed these :lol:

Still, I am really after a lay flat one with individually switched plugs. I found one exactly like I want, but only comes in a 1.8m variant :sleep:

Buy a 5m extension lead and plug it into the power board? Only danger with lengthening is you're increasing resistance, which means less power reaches the load (bad for running stability) unless the supply increases its output to compensate (bad for not catching fire/exploding the psu). Generally this isn't a problem as hardly anyone uses extension leads to their max rated capacity and especially not for long periods (i.e. in your case you're not drawing 3000w 24/7)

edit: oops, didn't see there was a next unread page of replies :p

happy bday you crotchety old honey badger pp xD

So I can't upload the video directly here and don't want to upload to Youtube. So instead uploaded to Drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yuzGFny_tQW271uCCtLD2GI3H9l6lGtw

I actually took this right when I woke up. Can't get more cold start than that.

I concede It does look quicker than my PC to be fair. I have Chrome installed on my el cheapo C: drive SSD so i'll have to see if I can get closer to that by putting it on my M.2 :p

Buy a 5m extension lead and plug it into the power board? Only danger with lengthening is you're increasing resistance, which means less power reaches the load (bad for running stability) unless the supply increases its output to compensate (bad for not catching fire/exploding the psu). Generally this isn't a problem as hardly anyone uses extension leads to their max rated capacity and especially not for long periods (i.e. in your case you're not drawing 3000w 24/7)

I know **** all about electricity and don't pretend to, hence the noob questions. I've no idea what's safe and what isn't. I only have common sense level knowledge about electricity :p I do understand technically you could extend it but again, no idea whether I actually should be doing that kind of thing :lol:

Last edited:
UPS just trolled me hard.

My Macbook got dispatched, I clicked the tracking notification and it said "By end of day, Friday 26th". This was great, as all my other stuff is due to arrive Saturday.

I refresh the page 10 minutes later while linking it up to my UPS My Choice account, and now it's suddenly flipped to Monday 29th :sleep: I'll be giving them a call at lunch and seeing if they can upgrade me to Saturday delivery. :lol:

Happy birthday, dude!
Thanks man.

:lol: Thanks

I concede It does look quicker than my PC to be fair. I have Chrome installed on my el cheapo C: drive SSD so i'll have to see if I can get closer to that by putting it on my M.2 :p

I know **** all about electricity and don't pretend to, hence the noob questions. I've no idea what's safe and what isn't. I only have common sense level knowledge about electricity :p I do understand technically you could extend it but again, no idea whether I actually should be doing that kind of thing :lol:
Fired up my Zbook G2 yesterday to let Windows update on good internet, after it was all done I launched Chrome after it sat for a while. Solid 2-3 seconds of white before the theme pops up and I can do something. I can take more video of the other machines too. Honestly your Mac should launch as quick as mine if not placebo faster. I would say it's definitely all SSD if the work machines didn't have the fast Samsung drives.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as I doubt you're pulling anywhere near the power draw I am. #1 thing "not" to do is daisy chain surge protectors, and #2 thing "not" to do is max them out. I have been doing both for 2 years when I had all 4 monitors, powered USB hub, 1000W easy worth of PC (ex friend stole Kill a watt meter so idk actual draw anymore), 2 sub woofers, old Yamaha 5.1 A/V, consoles, and XP machine hooked up to one outlet. I've popped the breaker a couple times but no fires yet.

UPS just trolled me hard.

My Macbook got dispatched, I clicked the tracking notification and it said "By end of day, Friday 26th". This was great, as all my other stuff is due to arrive Saturday.

I refresh the page 10 minutes later while linking it up to my UPS My Choice account, and now it's suddenly flipped to Monday 29th :sleep: I'll be giving them a call at lunch and seeing if they can upgrade me to Saturday delivery. :lol:
My girl ordered my board last week off Newegg, was supposed to deliver yesterday and Fedex changed it to today :annoyed:

And now for the **** news. Due to drama and whatnot last week and over the weekend I knew my birthday would be pretty **** next to being on a Monday as well as a work day. Well about 30 minutes before bed I find out my grandpa passed on my freakin birthday. I was going to visit him next weekend as I found out Sunday he was put in hospice. Didn't get to :(

Thanks man.

:lol: Thanks

Fired up my Zbook G2 yesterday to let Windows update on good internet, after it was all done I launched Chrome after it sat for a while. Solid 2-3 seconds of white before the theme pops up and I can do something. I can take more video of the other machines too. Honestly your Mac should launch as quick as mine if not placebo faster. I would say it's definitely all SSD if the work machines didn't have the fast Samsung drives.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as I doubt you're pulling anywhere near the power draw I am. #1 thing "not" to do is daisy chain surge protectors, and #2 thing "not" to do is max them out. I have been doing both for 2 years when I had all 4 monitors, powered USB hub, 1000W easy worth of PC (ex friend stole Kill a watt meter so idk actual draw anymore), 2 sub woofers, old Yamaha 5.1 A/V, consoles, and XP machine hooked up to one outlet. I've popped the breaker a couple times but no fires yet.

My girl ordered my board last week off Newegg, was supposed to deliver yesterday and Fedex changed it to today :annoyed:

And now for the **** news. Due to drama and whatnot last week and over the weekend I knew my birthday would be pretty **** next to being on a Monday as well as a work day. Well about 30 minutes before bed I find out my grandpa passed on my freakin birthday. I was going to visit him next weekend as I found out Sunday he was put in hospice. Didn't get to :(

Happy Bday btw!. Sorry to hear about your gramps dude, that is a ****ty situation when you dont get to say goodbye.

In other news I am royally pissed at UPS. I ring them up and as expected they won't rearrange delivery for Saturday. I ask if they can redirect it to my work. No to that as well. I tell them I will miss the delivery then as I wont be home, so can I pick it up from the depot after work ?. They said no to that as well, they don't do depot collections. They also said they can't deliver it to a UPS collection point because the parcel is too large. FFS. And then to top it all off, the tracking site I can see says delivery on Monday 29th July, but then the UPS customer service agent says delivery from China to UK is usually guaranteed by Friday if they pick it up on Tuesday (like they did), so that the delivery might actually arrive on Friday 26th. But they can't guarantee it, but nor can they guarantee Monday 29th.

GRRRRR. ****ing sucks because my mum is at work every day for the next 2 weeks, so I am completely out of options other than booking time off work. If I don't get time off work, they'll try and redeliver (and noone will be in again) and they'll end up returning it to sender.

So here is me, at my new job, at the start of my 2nd week at work, having to email my boss and HR about whether I can take 2 days off work just to accept a ****ing delivery, even though I haven't accrued time off yet. Technically it is all Apples fault as UPS said it is up to the sender to block all of the above delivery options...:mad:

Back
Top Bottom