Potentially the longest thread in history...

45-50 in terms of freedom dollars is pretty low, at least for a manager role. If the company has 50 or less users with an even smaller IT asset collection it would be easy with a no 3rd party situation.

I think they said there was 70 staff, so meh. If I got the job, the plan would be stick it out for 3 years, then move to a manager role at a bigger company (even though i'd enjoy it less) on more dollarydoos, and then try and bet into a IT Director role within 10 years or so. My boss became IT Director at about 30, so should be doable!

Last edited:
50k GBP is 90k AUD, not a **** salary by a long shot. Average wage here is ~55k AUD, 90K for a starting position with no experience is a pretty damn good offer.

Tbh though with no prior management experience, taking over a 70-something staff company's entire IT dept is pretty ambitious, or if I wanted to be more negative I'd say irresponsible. Best of luck if you do go for it though

50k GBP is 90k AUD, not a **** salary by a long shot. Average wage here is ~55k AUD, 90K for a starting position with no experience is a pretty damn good offer.

Tbh though with no prior management experience, taking over a 70-something staff company's entire IT dept is pretty ambitious, or if I wanted to be more negative I'd say irresponsible. Best of luck if you do go for it though
It'd be pretty easy actually depending on what the company does.

Each individual thing that needs doing might not be of great technical difficulty, anyone can setup a raid and make sure they've got a spare hdd to hot swap. That doesn't make the job of being entirely responsible for a whole company's IT directives "pretty easy", and a cavalier attitude will ensure you're probably not even going to be considered. Sure if you mean something like the 70 employees share 1 PC between them, but I doubt that's the case in 2019

Leaving the usual tech crap of workstations/backups/updates/servers/licensing/security/etc aside, there's also having a proper roadmap for future upgrades, financial planning complete with proper business case reports prepared showing your justifications, dealing with internal company politics at a senior level, relationship management, etc. It's bs to think all that is "pretty easy".

Last edited:
That's noice at least, and ah lol that equates to ~72k aud, low for a manager role :/ 20k over average wage still tho :grin:

Every manager must have a period where they're learning because they've never done management before :/

IMO it'd be better to be assistant/support to a manager for the kind of things you need to do in that role first is all I was thinking. I know I'm still learning a **** ton from my manager watching how she deals with different people and very glad to have had her around for certain situations that've cropped up :p

That's noice at least, and ah lol that equates to ~72k aud, low for a manager role :/ 20k over average wage still tho :grin:

IMO it'd be better to be assistant/support to a manager for the kind of things you need to do in that role first is all I was thinking. I know I'm still learning a **** ton from my manager watching how she deals with different people and very glad to have had her around for certain situations that've cropped up :p

The money is a bit low but it's not a million miles out to be honest. Salaries in IT are just not that good here. 60k USD is about average for a IT manager, considering its a small company and they're looking to train people in the position I think its fair enough.

Youre right, that would be better. But I just see so many people that are **** at their jobs and ill qualified, it doesn't really worry me.

Each individual thing that needs doing might not be of great technical difficulty, anyone can setup a raid and make sure they've got a spare hdd to hot swap. That doesn't make the job of being entirely responsible for a whole company's IT directives "pretty easy", and a cavalier attitude will ensure you're probably not even going to be considered. Sure if you mean something like the 70 employees share 1 PC between them, but I doubt that's the case in 2019

Leaving the usual tech crap of workstations/backups/updates/servers/licensing/security/etc aside, there's also having a proper roadmap for future upgrades, financial planning complete with proper business case reports prepared showing your justifications, dealing with internal company politics at a senior level, relationship management, etc. It's bs to think all that is "pretty easy".
You're also ignoring the part where I said "depending on what the company does". I've done this once before on an unofficial level and I'm currently looking into doing it again on an official level for 2 different start ups. If you have a Silicon Valley 70 man team where each person uses a PC, requires some sort of "datacenter" level backend etc yea 1 man operation it's going to be difficult. If you are working for say, a glass company or a small insurance company it actually becomes relatively easy. Again we're also talking a manager level not your usual pleb level work. Dealing with the writeups, the politics, the roadmaps, it's all easy if you have a head for it. You can leave the grunt work for the people you hire in.

The weekend before I started at Lockheed I was in contact with the owner of A-B Glass here in DFW where he was looking into sinking some funds into what he said the "electronic" side of his business. He has two locations, wants video surveillance setup, his "books" (accounting/financial) moved to software, project managers to have tablets/laptops with remote drives and a way to track them, server hosted blueprints with active multi-user colab, both shops connected, electronic monitoring of shop machines (CNC, glass furnace etc), shop vending for OSHA approved safety gear, and a few other things. Dude was a regular redneck with money. Had his proposal wrote up in a few hours with a basic budget to what he wanted not including labor and not including future outlook roadmap with maintenance. Once he realized how involved what he was asking ensued he decided he needed to wait and take it one step at a time because he was already looking at a 6 figure investment for that alone and again that's not including labor.

If you look at it (or the position is) a 1 man does all job then yea it's insanely difficult and time consuming but for the topic at hand of management level duty it's relatively easy if you know what you're doing. In a small company that isn't 100% IT dependent that is. The hardest part about it is dealing with the people above you who don't understand what you do and you have to knock sense into them without being rude. I mean in the iLab I already got a taste of IT management sitting in the meetings of a worldwide multi-billion dollar company listening to the Director of AeroIT and his sub-level managers. I had to speak in those too for ADP/Skunkworks IT integration as well as speak on behalf of Frank (our head of hardware acquisition) for the logistics behind certain necessities when it came to onward refreshes. This is the main reason I wanted to leave the iLab because I was dropped to $18 an hour when everybody else knew I needed to make more. It wasn't all ordering Titans and playing VR all day. I'm the reason the Fort Worth plant has had SSDs in all machines since 2016 and I had to work magic just to do that (4 page proposal that wasn't just speed = good, it included a lot of logistics). It was exhilarating to be honest.

And let's be honest here, that kind of salary with the description we're being given. It really sounds to me like the term "IT Manager" is being used as singular IT dude to do all IT duties for a very small company. More than likely all the decision making will not be left on his shoulders. I had a friend in this position that had a similar role for a trucking company based here in Texas. He spent most of his time dealing with network/VPN issues between Burleson and some place in Mexico. So we're talking sitting somewhere being told to do this or this for a non-infrastructure type solution. Their networking includes some consumer junk bought from a Best Buy level shop with a consumer internet connection and a bunch of machines running consumer level Windows....you get the idea. This is why I said relatively easy and you took it in left field. I'd be willing to bet it's no different than say somebody saying "small company needs IT guy" on Craigslist. So the idea of roadmaps, network topology graphs, enterprise level AV, etc isn't even a thought. Feel me brah?

I've done this once before on an unofficial level and I'm currently looking into doing it again on an official level for 2 different start ups.

Best of luck in your venture then

Youre right, that would be better. But I just see so many people that are **** at their jobs and ill qualified, it doesn't really worry me.

That's why I said I'd call it irresponsible. You don't suffer if you make bad choices unless you get fired, the business always suffers.

Best of luck in your venture then

That's why I said I'd call it irresponsible. You don't suffer if you make bad choices unless you get fired, the business always suffers.
As with any IT related position that's the calculated risk the business has to take when hiring somebody based on their merit. It appears based on the info we have currently the manager or owner already knows what they're getting into when hiring somebody inexperienced in that position.

Back
Top Bottom