Potentially the longest thread in history...

Re: Today I have...

Watched my 67-year-old father climb his 100+ foot (~30 meters so that Dodge understands) Ham Radio tower on his house to put the finishing touches on his new antenna roter. He has fallen off the roof before while we were cleaning out the chimney. So naturally, I had "911" dialed out on my cell waiting and watching... ready to hit the call button. Man that dude is crazier than me. And i'm nuts...

Job ain't gonna get done by itself... Someones gotta do it... :p

Job ain't gonna get done by itself... Someones gotta do it... :p

Hehehe Yea, that is true. I live by that rule. I used to climb the tower as a kid growing up prior to my inception with vertigo, but he is stubborn like me. Today I offered to go up in place of him and he said... "Michael, you are a networking engineer, not a mechanical engineer..." Then I just said "Ok as..ole" and then chased the cats around the yard for a few minutes. When he got to the roof, I stopped and noticed that he began climbing the tower without the harness... so I said "Hey Fu.ker.. even mechanical engineers try NOT to fall 100 feet when fixing a radio antenna..." He laughed, stepped back down to the roof and strapped onto the tower and said... "Damn I'm getting old... " LOL

Here's a picture from one of the "phases" of his project (my brother took it)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204124141409672&set=p.10204124141409672&type=1&theater

Last edited:

Ehh, that's not that high up... I didn't know he wasn't clipped on at first. Now THAT'S crazy. LOL Even I know better than that...

Ehh, that's not that high up... I didn't know he wasn't clipped on at first. Now THAT'S crazy. LOL Even I know better than that...

Yea, when you are there in front of it or looking at a picture... it really doesn't seem high up at all. Today he was all the way up at the top trying to adjust the fixture to point north and even used a 20-foot light bulb changer (that I roped up to him) to get a bird to fly away... When he stretched over to get that bird to fly away I was trying to figure out what I was going to say to my mother after the tower fell... (she was playing candy crush inside...)

Your right, from pics, it's doesn't look high at all, but personally I have been much higher than that, but I had all the safety gear, and a buddy line up with me.

If I'm up on a tower... no matter the height, the world is going to end. But while I'm flying a plane @ 10,000 feet, I'm ok. It's the enclosure for me.

Not that tall...
58af1378d2fd18a24b2e6fec620b33f7.png

That tower is far more massive than it looks, base is 8 foot wide easily.

<<< Fat man doesn't do heights. Period.

Everything falls at the same speed, but I have more that will hit the ground than most.

Back
Top Bottom