OMG what HAPPENED to TF?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I think it would be better if there was no Off Topic section as is leads to all kinds of things, just leave it as a tech forums and thats it.

With the way that tech-forums currently presents itself? Yes, I agree. There may have been other ideas with TF from '03-'04 but not now. One is not "better" than the other, nor should they be compared. Honestly though, if Tech-Forums wishes to go in a pure "Tech-Forums" direction, then it should follow a career like Billy Joel when he stopped producing Rock...... and "Sing a different tune". In other words, I agree, the OT section should be removed.

Nubius was banned?!

Truly, this is a sign of the end of the world.
Coupled with the banishment of The General, I am convinced.

...and I do not agree with this generic skin either. I was browsing the internet yesterday and found at least three sites that have EXACTLY THE SAME SKIN.
Again, this is just the default vBulletin skin. Tech-forums isn't the only forum to use vBulletin.

Like Trotter said, we will be adding more skins later. But it isn't on the top of the list.

i havn't been on here for a couple of weeks, come back and there's a new forum design :)
just as cool as findin' a 20 dollar bill in a pair of pants you havn't worn for a month :D

as long as i can log on here, help someone with a problem and someone help me, it's all good.

off-topic is nice because the community can get together and talk about things they have in common, but then there's the bad apples that can wreck it.
on here though mods do a pretty decent job banning right away so people can't get to out of control.

i dunno,
anyway
\m/ \m/ for the forum.

Again, this is just the default vBulletin skin. Tech-forums isn't the only forum to use vBulletin.

Like Trotter said, we will be adding more skins later. But it isn't on the top of the list.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

@Warez: Well said, but I disagree with your suggestion to remove the off topic section. I think that that off topic section adds quite a bit of personality to the forums. It begins to seem like I am actually talking to people instead of post-bots who mechanically answer post after post. I wouldn't be heartbroken if it was removed, but if it simply takes stricter enforcement of the rules to keep it around then I am all for that. It can only lead to betterment of the forums, in my opinion. I may be contradicting myself there, but I changed my mind.

Uhh is fixing the current skin some where on the list?
error.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
but if it simply takes stricter enforcement of the rules to keep it around then I am all for that. It can only lead to betterment of the forums, in my opinion. I may be contradicting myself there, but I changed my mind.
Yes YES, here here, we need strict enforcement of rules, so that every post will undoubtably be as bland as the next. We should also have a test and an interview to join, so we can prevent any of these unsavory characters that break poorly written rules from ever joining. I agree with you, OT adds personality to TF, but why does TF need personality? OT should be removed for the sake of removing all the personality from TF.

Nubius was banned?!

Truly, this is a sign of the end of the world.
Coupled with the banishment of The General, I am convinced.

They wanted to be banned. Look at this:
junk.jpg

Do you really think they would have done that if they didn't? If you go over to ToV, most of the banned people say that they were trying to be banned.

The new version has all kinds of new features and stuff, but a ot of the things that worked before aren't working yet.

Are you kidding me? The only new "features" were pieces of garbage that made my life harder. The members list doesn't even have a "top posters" feature and when you want to quick reply, you need to do a quote and stuff like that. WTFruit? You call that features?

EDIT: I think some of the mods don't have anything else to do and just delete posts and ban people for no reason. 1/2 the posts here are being deleted. I've been on this site for more than 3 years. I'm one of the oldest active members around, and i can tell you that this is headed for DOOM unless something is done. Seriously, as soon as someone gets 3000+ posts, they're like automatically on the list to be MODS. Dang, it, I would be a better candidate for a mod because I've been around here so long.

Are you kidding me? The only new "features" were pieces of garbage that made my life harder. The members list doesn't even have a "top posters" feature and when you want to quick reply, you need to do a quote and stuff like that. WTFruit? You call that features?
tech forums uses vB, not php. Hitting the quick reply button has a reason... the forum can be viewed in linear or threaded mode. We normally use linear, but some prefer threaded. When you click the quick reply button, it branches your reply off the post you clicked the button on.

Not all the features are active yet, but there are a lot that are. True, the new TF looks different, but change always does. The biggest change that most here are whining about is the infractions. Well, the infractions have been posted up for all to see, and thet are not tools used to beat people down. Infractions are to show someone where they need to make corrections. It is a simple concept, but appartantly beyond the grasp of some.

You want a "top posters" feature? Make the suggestion: http://www.techist.com/forums/f5/post-upgrade-suggestions-138349/ And any other suggestions you may happen to have you would like to see. The upgrade was for the members as well, as we want TF to be the best it can be for all.

I think that that off topic section adds quite a bit of personality to the forums... I wouldn't be heartbroken if it was removed, but if it simply takes stricter enforcement of the rules to keep it around then I am all for that. It can only lead to betterment of the forums, in my opinion.

Removal of OT was suggested because almost all of the current problems are in OT. Off Topic is Off Topic, not Anything Goes. Unfortunately, there are some here who are trying to make it that. While strict enforcing is required to keep things in line, it is a huge drain on the mod team. I spend most of my time fighting fires in here, and new mods aren't allowed to have duties in OT because of the strain it causes. Off Topic does lend personality to TF, but at what cost?

Yes YES, here here, we need strict enforcement of rules, so that every post will undoubtably be as bland as the next. We should also have a test and an interview to join, so we can prevent any of these unsavory characters that break poorly written rules from ever joining. I agree with you, OT adds personality to tech forums, but why does TF need personality? OT should be removed for the sake of removing all the personality from TF.

Nice sarcasm. and spamming will be you whacked. The rules are very plain and actually allow a lot. But they do not allow anarchy. If a person cannot refrain from profanity or spam, TF is not the place for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom