Learning Car Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can you paint a car for 50 bucks? When i painted my old bug, the paint alone was over 150 plus all the other fun chemicals you get to mix up to go along with it. Personally, i refuse to do body work on a vehicle ever again. I did ALL of the body work and paint on my first car which was a 68 bug that i had to do a god awful amount of work to. I let my dad do the painting though because he had already done it in the past and had half a clue. Although at least with a blazer, everything is flat so it should be quite a bit easier than trying to paint a VW bug with all its fun curves.

How can you paint a car for 50 bucks? When i painted my old bug, the paint alone was over 150 plus all the other fun chemicals you get to mix up to go along with it. Personally, i refuse to do body work on a vehicle ever again. I did ALL of the body work and paint on my first car which was a 68 bug that i had to do a god awful amount of work to. I let my dad do the painting though because he had already done it in the past and had half a clue. Although at least with a blazer, everything is flat so it should be quite a bit easier than trying to paint a VW bug with all its fun curves.

you use Rustoleum paint from walmart. and you roll it on...it comes out looking like *** if you ask me. you really can't sand out the orange peel it leaves.

Wow, even a rattlecan job usually costs more than 50 bucks if you want it to look decent. The bug i'm stealing from my parents has a nice flat black rattlecan paint job. Doesnt look to bad really, and its easy to maintain. Oops, got a scratch. Sand, respay, done :)

^^lol^^
sounds like my first car.....
i used to pull dents out of it after a night of reckless driving with a toilet plunger!
ahhhhhh...the good ol' days.

Ya, i miss having a beater. My current car is actually still new, matter of fact i MIGHT get it back from the body shop on friday *crosses fingers. My last 2 cars were pretty ragity so i didnt care too much about rock chips and dings.

^thats how i am right now i have a blazer that was given to me, mechanically its fine, cosmetically its not crazy bad but its not pretty. and i dont really care if i **** up because it cant look TOO much worse then it already does

im only using this while im saving up for a new car (well used car but new to me lol)

Apart from what was said all ready, if you need you sand paper between primer paint jobs, you will be needing some fine grit sand paper. 1200 grit to start off with, and you work your way up to 2400 grit. (Possibly further). IMPORTANT!!! Get this sand paper from the Auto Shop, not from your hardware shop.
I had to do some touch up on my car over christmas, and I found that the hardware shop sand paper was courser than the auto shop sand paper.

You will also want a resperator mask for both sanding and painting. If it's just a touch up job, you can get away with the cheap papers ones. If it's a big job, or you are doing this for a living, get good one.

Rofl, nice sig harper. What you dont like getting high off of paint fumes? Also, remember that water is your friend when sanding.

Rofl, nice sig harper. What you dont like getting high off of paint fumes? Also, remember that water is your friend when sanding.
I little is high on paint fumes it okay. It when it's alot that I start to feel sick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom