How to Share One Keyboard with a Laptop and a Desktop Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyyu

Beta member
Introduction

Typing on a laptop is easier when you use an external keyboard instead of the built-in keyboard. You can also use the same external keyboard for your laptop and desktop computers, eliminating the need to invest in two different keyboards. Here is how to share one keyboard with a laptop and a desktop computer.

Step One

Understand that a KVM switch acts as a hub that connects a keyboard, mouse or monitor to the computers. A KVM switch is an abbreviation of Keyboard, Video, Mouse switch.

Step Two

Buy a KVM sharing switch from an online or retail store. Ensure that the switch has at least two ports to connect with a laptop and a desktop.

Step Three

Ensure that the connection port is compatible with the keyboard, laptop and desktop (PS/2 or USB port).

Step Four

Connect the keyboard to the sharing switch.

Step Five

Connect the base of the sharing switch to the two computers. This base is also connected to a small remote controller, which stays on the desktop.

Step Six

Switch between the two computers by pressing a button on the remote controller.

WOW what an original thinker.. if we all did that there would be no use for computer forums.. but hey i suppose u got another one on ur post count :)

This is the reason why forums were created. For people like you who are so original and unique and who believe that they should be helped without trying themselves.

Synergy

I have this installed on my laptop and desktop at home. It works EXTREMELY well, however doesnt like to be used while playing WoW, unfortunately.

Best of all IT'S FREE!

Highly Recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom