how does advertising work?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
who is behind all this garbage that we see on the webpages?

and is there a way to fight these bull**** animated ads and popups?

I'm using adblock which I'm sure many people use as well
but some pages are starting to show ads even with adblock installed so I'm assuming they are getting around it somehow.

I'm not against ads but I'm against ads that crash my computer often like those stupid animated ads or popups

I just want to know If theres anything I can do to minimize the ads

who is behind all this garbage that we see on the webpages?
Ad development companies.

and is there a way to fight these bull**** animated ads and popups?

I'm using adblock which I'm sure many people use as well
but some pages are starting to show ads even with adblock installed so I'm assuming they are getting around it somehow.
You said it - adblockers. I currently use uBlock, which IMO is better than Adblock. Combine that with script blockers (such as Privacy Badger) to help block scripts, as well as a flash blocker, and you'll get 90% of everything.

photobucket used to get blocked by adblock but today I see the ads and I see ads on some other pages too.

ill try others thanks..

but also I was reading that adblock was getting sued by some europea AD companies.

so just because it works now doesn't mean that this type of software will last

ads and spam are annoying in any way shape and form
if I can do anything to get back at them I would do it..
I don't belive that one person can make a difference if people don't want to change. he just gets laughed at and called a lunatic.
but if many people organize and have a goal usually it gets done.

except then if its too effective those people might get labeled as "organized crime" and arrested lol.

Last edited:
Click on your AdBlock icon and a box opens up, select Filter preferences, from there you can add more filters by clicking on "Ad Filter Subscription" and uncheck the box that says "Allow some non-intrusive advertising"
Ad Block Plus works for me but it does need to be set up properly

photobucket used to get blocked by adblock but today I see the ads and I see ads on some other pages too.

ill try others thanks..

but also I was reading that adblock was getting sued by some europea AD companies.

so just because it works now doesn't mean that this type of software will last

ads and spam are annoying in any way shape and form
if I can do anything to get back at them I would do it..
I don't belive that one person can make a difference if people don't want to change. he just gets laughed at and called a lunatic.
but if many people organize and have a goal usually it gets done.

except then if its too effective those people might get labeled as "organized crime" and arrested lol.
Some advertising is a necessary evil, it pays for the internet and without it we wouldn't have the net like it is today. I am referring to the non-intrusive types of ads... not those annoying pop ups/ pop unders

AdBlock Plus, Flashblock, and NoScript extensions (Firefox) keep almost all of them out of my sight.

Adblock Plus I believe is the one being sued and for what it's worth they typically are the ones that get paid on the side to let some ads slip through their own iteration of Easylist.

Another problem being, if you're using IE still the method Adblock uses isn't the best as I believe it uses the Hostlist to inject the block list. I tried this method using Edge and it let's 50% of ads slip by.

Using the regular Adblock plugin with Chrome I don't get any ads at all, and I just loaded Photobucket and on the right where the ad usually is I get a "you have ads blocked" message.

what about that new browser in windows 10 whats that?

is it completely different from IE? better worse security?

that makes sense about adblock I'm gonna try the others you suggested.

the reason I don't use firefox is it has a noticeable delay when opening first time and opening pages. I just cant deal with it lol ocd or whatever it is

this is the first system that I built that is able to keep up with my multitasking and any delay is just bugging the fk out of me lol. from the old days of windows 98 I used to run and get snacks while I wait for everything to load

That would be Edge.

It runs on a modified version of the Trident engine, which is what IE uses. So it's similar to IE, but different enough. Haven't heard anything about security on it yet really.

Not really any delay for FF for me unless you load it up with add-ons - though I use Chrome for my browsing and no delay there either. Currently have 26 tabs open with no issues.

Any real delay in actually opening the program is going to be basically all on your machine and storage device. If you don't use a program enough Superfetch won't keep it in RAM.

Back
Top Bottom