How companies rip you off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
I wanted to hook up my other system to my router. So decided to go get myself a network cable. Anywho, I went to the store. A 10 foot network cable is $8 Cdn.. Guess not too bad..

Or so I thought..

I was just going down the hallway in my campus and ran into the guy that maintains like the h/w in our department. So I just asked him "hey man, can I buy a network cable off you?".. Being the nice guy that he is and since my face probably looks somewhat familiar, he's like "yeah sure. How long do you need it to be?".. I was like "um.. 10 feet?".. He said c'mon.. So I did..

In 2 minutes, and he made me a custom cable to my desired length and charged be $1.00.. Says that was how much the "parts" cost.. 800% return for the off-the-shelf cables..

Makes you wonder about other parts too doesn't it? :rolleyes:

If he just has a spool of it... then yes it would be about a dollar to break even on it.

Im suprised one of us doesn't have any kind of hookup on Wholesale.

I know, I need a 100 foot cable for my router...and it's $40 at Office Max. My friend got one for $10 after his friend made it.

my friend bought 1000ft of cable from newegg lol...the little connectors are pretty cheap too...maybe a couple bucks for a crapload of them in a bag...he also bought the proper tool for mounting the ends plus a little thing to test em with, but yeaaah overall if you buy a huge spool like that it's a helluva lot cheaper

That diagram is in soo many plaecs.

Anyways for 180$ CDN I get a kilometer of CAT5E cable.

I always buy snagless plug or boot to ensure those damn release tab don't break off while I'm yanking to pull it out. My wiring closet is a mess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom