Is feminism taking over America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
After hearing a few different remarks and watching all these woman's organizations I am wondering if women are really searching for equality or just getting as much "bang" for their sex "buck?"

Perhaps they don't conciously realize it, but I think that the feminism movement in America is really making men out to be somehow worse than women in terms of human problems, when in fact both are just as manipulative and evil.

That is tooo true, i hate how we are made to feel insuperior to women.

They want to turn us into METROSEXUALS!!!!!!
Die Queer EYE!!!

Bill Maher said it best in his stand up special "Freedom starts at Home" or something to that effect.

"Sensitivity became more important than truth, feelings became more important than facts,"

I will be the first to admit that men have innumerable flaws, but taking advantage of equal rights by trying to show off how you are somehow better than men is downright inaccurate.

Secondly, I am skeptical of these women who decide to get a career to show their independence and feel better about themselves, by, as George Carlin put it "impersonating the worst behavior of males. Putting on a man-tailored suit and going to work for a lying corporation that screws people out of their money and poisons the environment...is this the noblest thing they can think of?"
Obviously that is not always the case, but I heard about this WILLOW (Women In Leadership Leading Our World) meeting where one of the speakers is a businesswomen with Ford Motor Co. and it upset me that we are now not only encouraging men to do such things as defend evil corporations, but more and more women are taking the opportunity to do it as well.

Everyone has the right to be a lying, cheating capitalist whore, but I think it's taking a step down.

The proper definition of Feminism has nothing to do with men being inferior in any way. You would be talking about something else if you feel some groups promote empowering women to a point they feel women are somehow "better" than men. Feminism is about equality.

Ive taken Sociology of the Gender, so I do agree that there are groups that promote a male inferiority, but they arent feminist, and if theyre labeling themself as that it would be incorrect.

Actually we talked about this in my Analytic Lit. class today. We just finished reading A Doll House by Isben (feminine empowerment play from waaay back in the day) and we discussed the difference between feminism and female chauvinism. One has little to do with the other.

I have read A Doll's House also. I really think that, just like racial equality, the female equality movement is in many cases a chance for women to get as much as they can for their sex.
I have also read at least one essay by a "feminist" who I feel takes sexual equality WAY too far (Complaining that the lead in the Matrix was a male and that the supporting actress was a sex symbol and nothing more.)

Well, you captured the whole point right there. Putting the word feminist in quotes is exactly it. They may call themselves that, but if they feel that women are better than men, its chauvinism.

but I agree that movies and games have done too much to sexualise women's images. For example, Sarah Kerrigan is drawn in a way with hot body. The whole entertainment industry is still based on pleasing men's favors.

Pleasing men's favors is what sells. Sorry Harold, but that is how us men work...sex sells. =/

And I don't think it has gone too far, I just think that most guys [and girls] are too stupid.

Ok Shrapnill,
I understand what you are saying here, and I agree with you. My point though, is that I think that there are a lot of groups POSING as feminist groups which are really chauvenist groups, and that is causing the connotative definition of "feminism" into a man-hating, women-are-the-better-sex marathon, rather than what it should be about...equality.

True_Orb said:
After hearing a few different remarks and watching all these woman's organizations I am wondering if women are really searching for equality or just getting as much "bang" for their sex "buck?"

Perhaps they don't conciously realize it, but I think that the feminism movement in America is really making men out to be somehow worse than women in terms of human problems, when in fact both are just as manipulative and evil.

I agree with you to a certain extent... I think there's about equal sexism towards both males and females in America right now. And a lot of the sexism at the expense of females is self-induced. (Not to name names, but here's a good example: "I'm a girl so I don't know much about computers, but if anyone helps me, I'll send them naked pics" *grumbles*)

I like the parts of feminism where girls are raised with the mindset that they are going to go to college and have a career, but I dislike the parts that make men into the culprits. Though some men hold some women down, a lot of women hold women down too.

I hear ya Emily. I think women most definitely deserve the same opportunities as men, I just think it's wrong when women start using the fact that they are women to get what they want, rather than natural talents or proper certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom