cree flashlight and li-ion batteries

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i would like to buy one of these new hi tech flashlights, to compare against my old standby Maglite. but there is so much hype about them and their batteries. i don't know where to start. i did try googling them,and got close to half a million replies. i like the idea of both, and adjustable beam (like my Maglite) and the multiple led head flashlights. but i know the multiple led light will suck the power out of a battery (or set of batteries) much faster. i know there are a couple of different size batteries, but i am really confused about what is really achievable in mAh in real life. there are big claims on some of them, and i know that there is only so much power that a given size battery can hold. also, can, or do they stack batteries like they do in regular alkaline batteries to get more power / run time? i want to buy one decent light, with matching battery(ies) to power it without spending$100.00 on one. oh, is there any truth to the battery catching on fire stories that i used to see concerning these?

I have several mini lights with the Cree LED in them and love them. They put my old Maglites to shame. They can use either a single rechargeable BRC 18650 battery or 3 AAA batteries in a special adapter. I haven't had any issues (nor heard of any) of batteries catching fire.

The multi-LED lights are junk, they use multiple cheap LEDs and aren't nearly as bright as a single Cree LED.

All of the lights I have all cost less than $10 each. $100 is a bit much to spend for a flashlight IMO. If I was a fireman, cop or military, it might be justified but not for my personal use.

Back
Top Bottom