Broken Vocal/Instrument mics

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Something really strange happened lately.

All of my bands vocal and instrument mics were put in storage throughout the winter and spring. We're getting practice together again, and when we got the mics out, we realized a lot of them have gone dead. Specifically two which were 150 bucks each. We have to turn the PA channel up to max volume, and we barely get any signal at all, just barely audible.

I'm guessing someone literally THREW these mics into storage, and broke something. Anyone have any knowledge about microphones and if this is fixable at all?

was the storage unit climate controlled? if not, there's your problem. otherwise, yea, someone probably handled them too rough. what kind of mics were they?

A Peavey PVi100 and a Shure PG48.

Neither were mine in the beginning, but they were given to me since I'm the "smarter guy who knows how to fix things" in the group.

Both were kept in a relatively dry and warm place, but I pretty much KNOW they were handled rough. Our vocalist doesn't have much value over anything, tosses everything around, his guitar's covered in pizza sauce, got beer stains all over his amp, you know.

EDIT: I must've been lied to. Found the Shure mic on eBay for 50 bucks... Not sure how much the Peavey one was.

that's f*cked up, sorry to hear that. look for some secondhand Sure SM57 or SM58's those are tough as nails and are still top quality if you buy them used.

Most Sure mics will handle anything. Weve had some lead singers that literaly twirl them in big circles while they are hitting the ground pretty hard (Like around the word w/ a yo-yo). Of course we MAKE them pay for new but they stil llive. We have SM57s and 58s as well. Something my dad always says too, if it has the switch its not professional.

P.P. Mguire said:
Most Sure mics will handle anything. Weve had some lead singers that literaly twirl them in big circles while they are hitting the ground pretty hard (Like around the word w/ a yo-yo). Of course we MAKE them pay for new but they stil llive. We have SM57s and 58s as well. Something my dad always says too, if it has the switch its not professional.

I have 3 SM-58's and their indestructable :) The worst you can do is dammage the screen, which is 5$ to replace.

Yeah, I see what's wrong now anyway. The really thin coil wire is broken. I'm trying to pull some out to resolder on, but it's not going to well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom