Billionaire Philanthropy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Does anyone else find charitable donations from the worlds richest philanthropists totally unimpressive ?

Bill Gates is worth ~$67Bn, and is regarded as one of the most generous Philanthropists, and is highly praised because of this. I personally do not think he is deserving of any praise, nor are any other multi millionair/billionaire type people. Another thing that annoys me is families like the Kardashians hosting charitable events where they raise 30 to 40k. Big deal. If they cared that much, they would donate it themselves. Kim probably earns that every week.

I have way more respect for someone earning 20K a year donating £10 than I do for these mega rich. It's easier for Bill to donate $69.9Bn than it is for me, you, or any other normal person to donate $10 or whatever.

/rant

I agree completely. This also reminds me of that idiot that won $40 million off a lottery ticket and is asking for $1 million in donations on kickstarter to start up his own MMO... like really? Come on man...

Bill does it so he doesn't pay taxes or something in that regard. I know it has to do with some form of tax whether it's his own or a tax on his money or something.

Bill does it so he doesn't pay taxes or something in that regard. I know it has to do with some form of tax whether it's his own or a tax on his money or something.

Whatever it is, he's richer now than when he started Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. He's just playing people.

All he does is go around the world in his private jet, moan about how people should donate more money while staying in 5* hotels everywhere, and then every few months randomly donates money to make sure his company can remain classed as a charity. I generally like the guy but i'm not falling for this scheme of his.

If legit charities are getting money to do good things why the hell does it matter who is giving it to them? come on, thats just retarded. Focus on the charity not the person donating.

Plus the only good acts are those done without an audience.

what is unimpressive are these so called charities that claim to be helping people, yet only 5 cents of every dollar donated makes it to the cause...

It's a tax write off for Bill and any other jackwagon who wants to file a long form on their taxes.

What is really unimpressive is a nation that continues to outspend all other nations in defense spending and fighting a war on drugs. All the while cutting education, benefits for seniors, healthcare and programs for the needy… All b/c the Govt. of said nation cannot pass legislation to tax people as rich as Bill

now before said nation adds said responder to the kill list somebody else can have the soapbox

Do not waste your time on Social Questions. What is the matter with the poor is Poverty; what is the matter with the rich is Uselessness.
George Bernard Shaw

*******edit*******
In said nation minimum wage is 7.79 a grand total of 14956.80 a year..

Last edited:
I agree with many of your points (example: Susan G. Komen Foundation).

We do need to be careful as political discussions are not allowed on the board.

While we could have an interesting discussion it is not allowed.

My main point was regardless of someone's motive for donations, I would rather see a donation rather than a deposit in an offshore account.

yeah I might have gone off topic... just maybe...

United Way United Way of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This was one of the more trustworthy charities at the time...

Not to mention the point your example on the Walton's provides. They gave 1.4 bill but that was after lawmakers restricted any taxes against them.....

end of the day I guess I was rambling... It is their money to do what they wish... hate Bill for letting *********the new guy at********** Microsoft release Win 8 for standard desktops... not for throwing money out the window of his private jet!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom