Audio experts, is this possible? 3.5mm audio one female split to two male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
I have an iPod and XM radio in my car that I would like to connect using my auxiliary port.

Here's the setup. My head unit/receiver is a Pioneer and uses the P-bus aux interface. I have a cable that converts that interface to a male 3.5mm audio connector. This connector can be plugged into the iPod OR the XM so that I have a direct connection with either one. Problem is, if I don't want to listen to my iPod and want to listen to XM, I have to manually switch the cable from one to the other.

I want to know if I can get a connector that is has a female 3.5mm jack that splits off into two male jacks so that the iPod and XM radio can be connected at the same time. Is this even possible or is there too much interference? Obviously I would only be playing one thing at a time.

Here's a MS Paint picture for reference.

plan.jpg

=edit- hmm gimme a sec

o.k. what you need to do is get a 3.5mm female to female connector like Coupler 3.5mm Stereo Female / Female and get a 3.5mm male to dual female splitter like Planet Waves 3.5mm Male Stereo to Dual 3.5mm Female Stereo

now connect the male end of the splitter to the male end of the cable coming from the head unit using the female to female coupler.

now get two 3.5mm male to male cables like Amazon.com: QVS CC400M-06 3.5 MM Male to Male Audio Cable ? 6 Feet: Electronics and connect your devices to the female ends of the splitter

planlh2.jpg

=edit- hmm gimme a sec

o.k. what you need to do is get a 3.5mm female to female connector like Coupler 3.5mm Stereo Female / Female and get a 3.5mm male to dual female splitter like Planet Waves 3.5mm Male Stereo to Dual 3.5mm Female Stereo

now connect the male end of the splitter to the male end of the cable coming from the head unit using the female to female coupler.

now get two 3.5mm male to male cables like Amazon.com: QVS CC400M-06 3.5 MM Male to Male Audio Cable ? 6 Feet: Electronics and connect your devices to the female ends of the splitter

planlh2.jpg
Yes, this was the idea that I eventually came up with because I cannot find any single female connectors split into two males. Question is, will it work with full audio quality on both ends?

all you have to do is get 2 x male 3.5mm Stereo Plugs, a female 3.5mm stereo plug, some wire, and solder one up.

You can get the plugs at lots of places. Here's just one from google:
ShowMeCables | 3.5 mm Audio Connectors, Jacks, Adapters, Stereo, Mono

*edit*
I would say that this would not work if you're trying to use both at the same time. The sound waves can easily combine or cancel each other out and result in a nasty sound wave going to the head unit.

I wouldn't be using both at the same time. Only one would be playing at once, but both would be connected all the time.

it'd be much easier to just buy the components and hook them together rather than soldering your own custom piece. you would have to worry about proper shielding and other variables that could possibly degrade sound quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom