Anyone doing stoptober?

Interdisciplinary research in pharmacology, psychology, physiology and neurobiology is just beginning to shed light on the incredible hold that tobacco has on people. Scientists have found, for instance, that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, cocaine or amphetamines, and for most people more addictive than alcohol. Its hooks go deep, involving complex physiological and psychological mechanisms that drive and maintain smoking behavior and that even produce some ''good'' effects, such as improved performance on intellectual, computational and stressful tasks.
NICOTINE - HARDER TO KICK...THAN HEROIN - NYTimes.com

I honestly can not comment on vaping because I never tried to vape. Mechanical e cigs were just starting to come into market when I quit 8 yrs ago, and they still do not know the hazards of vaping as far as I know of. Ecigs have been on the news and they are currently doing studies on that, haven't heard about vaping or whether anybody is doing any research on vaping. Do you feel that the nicotine in tobacco is different that the nicotine in vape liquids?

It is a known fact that nicotine is addictive. I'm not going to argue with you on this. I made my statement and that'll be all I'll say.
I'm not talking about habits and that is why I did not disagree with Carnage. Habits are not the same as addictions

PP didn't say it wasn't addictive, he said it's not a hard drug to get off of - that doesn't imply it's not addictive. I've been "addicted" to caffeine before (in college, drinking tons and tons of pop), and gotten the dreaded caffeine headache for a few days, but it wasn't hard to break. Yeah nicotine isn't quite like caffeine...but it's still a drug that's not as hard to get off of compared to others out there.
This. That's why my initial comment was "you apparently didn't read what I said", because it was clear you didn't. It's pretty much all said by people who quit that it was the habit rather than nicotine. You have to replace the habit to break it, which proves my point to begin with. How many people gain weight after quitting simply because they require that hand to mouth habit? Like 90%. My mom continued to vape with no nicotine so she wouldn't pick up snacking as a habit which has been super effective. On top of that, her doctor (obviously an open minded chap) has shown her vitals have improved since she started vaping (because of quitting smoking) AND had a drop in her diabetic and blood pressure meds due to being healthier. If there was a serious negative property to vaping (again which I'm not saying it's 100% healthy) then we haven't really found any. The only big negative part is when people don't do their research for the more sophisticated setups and wind up burning themselves or the rare case when a battery might explode due to stupidity.

NICOTINE - HARDER TO KICK...THAN HEROIN - NYTimes.com

I honestly can not comment on vaping because I never tried to vape. Mechanical e cigs were just starting to come into market when I quit 8 yrs ago, and they still do not know the hazards of vaping as far as I know of. Ecigs have been on the news and they are currently doing studies on that, haven't heard about vaping or whether anybody is doing any research on vaping. Do you feel that the nicotine in tobacco is different that the nicotine in vape liquids?
The actual substance? Can't 100% comment because I was never a smoker, but I can comment on the "hit" that most people want. Now I do smoke pipe tobacco on occasion and can say that my mod doesn't give me the same "feel" after as hitting the pipe but pipe tobacco is also much stronger than a standard cig.

I couldn't find a lot of info/research about vaping, but I did read this:
Vaping is all the rage - even eclipsing cigarettes - but is it addictive? - redeyechicago.com
I can agree that a person can use vaping to wean themselves off of nicotine, but how successful peeps are actually doing that is unknown. A pack of 20 regular cigs a day is equal to 24 mg of nicotine,
Are e-cigarettes fueling a new addiction? - CNN.com
so cutting yourself down to 6 mg can be an improvement
The bad part about vaping and the 'media' is there is so much misinformation going around about it. People want to completely trash the idea simply because what they think isn't equal to that of the truth. Which blows my mind, because it is a much safer way to ingest substance. Not to mention flaaaaavoorrrrrr. I'm puffing on Jolly Rancher green apple right now, what cig or cigar can give me that? None. Also, the people around you can smell the flavor you're vaping when you initially exhale which IMO is a much nicer aroma. It also immediately dissipates and doesn't stain teeth, clothes, walls, bedding, car interior, or whatever.

Another factor is cost. You don't need 70 bucks worth of mod like I have to get the full effect. Once you're set hardware wise a bottle of juice can last a long time. I vape regularly during the day and a $13 30 mil bottle lasts me over a month. I know people who can blow through that amount in cigs in a day. My nicotine level is 6mg to give me a good hit in the throat but my setup enhances that to about 18mg ish. You can get juice with up to 24mg for a standard e-cig, or can use a setup like mine to enhance that further for a much much stronger hit. To the point of coughing hit, which to me I can't handle.

I think the bottom line here is, we should all be able to agree that it's a safer and "cleaner" alternative, and if done right can work to break a nasty habit. Is it 100% healthy? No, but I don't think any vaping person has ever claimed that. If/when they find something if it's seriously health hazardous I will have no issue dropping it which goes back to the original nicotine addiction conversation. It's my opinion though, that they won't find any seriously adverse long term effects of it.

Back when I started smoking cigarettes, they only cost 40¢ a pack and were considered safe too. I hope that vape doesn't follow that same path too

Back when I started smoking cigarettes, they only cost 40¢ a pack and were considered safe too. I hope that vape doesn't follow that same path too
They knew in the early 1900s that smokes were bad for you, which is why they finally instituted the Surgeon General warning in 64. A big difference between now and then is the advancement in science and technology to research these subjects. That fueled by hate hype of this generation means for quicker research into these subjects. Vaping has been around for 10 years so I expect deep study releases to start releasing between now and 2020.

As for price, inflation always impacts such things. The beauty of the hobby is it's backed by a ton of mom and pop places to make the fluid. Long as we have those I don't expect prices to skyrocket.

The required warning didn't show up on cigarette packs until...
U.S. Congress adopted the Federal Cigarette Labeling and Advertising Act of 1965 and the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act of 1969. These laws—

Required a health warning on cigarette packages
Banned cigarette advertising in the broadcasting media
Called for an annual report on the health consequences of smoking
In 1964 it was a report by the Surgeon General. It wasn't until '65 the a labeling and advertising act was instituted. It wasn't a law until 1970
The Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act was introduced into Congress in 1969, but it was not until April 1, 1970 when U.S. President Richard Nixon signed it into law.
But advertising was not enforced until 1971
The actual cigarette advertising ban did not come into force until January 2, 1971, as per a compromise that allowed broadcasters to air these commercials during their telecasts of college football bowl games on New Year's Day.[4]
The warning on cigarette packs was just a warning that it was dangerous to your health by the surgeon general, it was not until 1984 that they changed the label and started an anti-smoking campaign
In 1981, the FTC reported that the health warning labels as mandated by the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act had little effect on American smoking habits. Congress therefore passed the Comprehensive Smoking Education Act of 1984, requiring more specific health warnings.
Of course the best way the govt was able to curb smoking was to tax it. Not sure but I think the tax on a pack of smokes today is somewhere around$3 or $4, depending on what area you live in
Just a history for your personal info
The tobacco industry spent millions fighting these laws. It wasn't any different about cigarettes back then as it is for ecigs and vaping today, much controversy was about the health issues, I think it was when John Wayne died from cancer (1979) that a lot of folks started to really question the hazards of tobacco. John Wayne was a chain smoker and was known to go through about 4 packs/day. People had suspicions about cigs back before then but the tobacco industry was very aggressive about telling everybody that smoking was o.k.

The big tobacco industry is also eyeing the mom & pop shops too, they are competition and do not be surprised in the very near future that standards are going to be put into place by the govt to require the those making vape liquids will need to be registered and follow guidelines for distribution. The tobacco industry will push to make it very hard for anybody but the big boy's to sell vape liquids. Enjoy while you can!
The vape comments are of my own opinion. Of course your going to have the last word in this thread to make some kind of comment....go for it. I've said my share enough
:Happy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Health_Cigarette_Smoking_Act

Last edited:
You posted a lot to try and prove what though? Just like Mike you love to try and sidestep anything I say but basically that was a lot to avoid one simple point.....and fact. Allow me to quote myself on this.

A big difference between now and then is the advancement in science and technology to research these subjects. That fueled by hate hype of this generation means for quicker research into these subjects.

It makes no difference that it took them almost a decade just to get it onto packs, but it was still known that they were harmful before 64 to make the government even make such a statement in 64. All that is still beside the major point here, vaping is still healthier than smoking. Period. It's not a case of "making the last word", it's a case of knocking down the misinformation on the subject. Our advancement in technology and science fueled by people like you have already made researchers dive hard into the subject to answer the questions many of us already know. It'll only be a matter of time.

Will they try to regulate it? Sure, they have been. Will they be successful? No. The reason being is because the contents used to make the liquid is easily accessible and anyone can make their own juice. Are they going to ban the sales of all food grade propylene glycol? No, they can't. How about flavor extract? Nah. Ok, how about nicotine? Well if they do that the FTC better step in because then it's obvious what's going on. Another factor being, smoking is quite literally being banned everywhere as time is going on. The government is stepping in trying to make it impossible to smoke in small steps. Texas just passed a law that people can't smoke in their cars while a child is present. We already have laws in most counties that you can't smoke in public places, including bars. Next step is probably banning it indoors somehow.
Adding the last factor, the judgemental people, the haters, and the mass amount of misinformation around the topic. It keeps the masses scared about vaping. Vapers are like the enthusiasts of computing world, not really a chunk of the pie. As long as people like you keep opinions and closed minds we have nothing to worry about the tobacco companies stepping in to rain on our parade.

But hey, just like Mike you decided to derail the thread.

Not one person commented on this thread until me and my good golly its really kicked off after that. Look at all those responces. :lol: .. Mabie I should be more conservative with my posts. :p ..

Smoking has already been banned here in all indoor areas of pubs/bars/clubs as of 2006, we even just banned it in our main city outdoor mall area last year.

I gotta admit I like the change, stops inconsiderate smokers blowing smoke all over families with young kids, and cuts back on them littering by throwing used butts everywhere. Pet hate that last one :p if I see you do it, I guarantee you you'll have it in your hair very shortly after.

Vapes solve both of those problems without needing extra laws and restrictions put in place. Vapes have an almost non-existent residue, to the point they can be smoked inside and not stain everything, and they don't have to be thrown away when you're done smoking one. The fact that they're healthier (due to only creating steam/vapour instead of burning particles aka smoke) is just a nice plus IMO.

. You go to the G.P's and the first question they ask is are you a smoker.
That's probably because smoking is very relevant to a lot of issues!
Even the dentists.
smoking reduces blood flow to your gums, which can mean that they bleed less than they would otherwise, and bleeding gums are a sign of gum disease (which is a sign of impending heart disease) smoking can hide signs of that, which is why it is important to tell your dentist these things, essentially so they can assess your gum health according to a different scale. - funnily enough when a health professional asks you about smoking it's because it's a genuinely important question about your health, not because they want to either judge you or borrow a smoke off you.

but they don't want the NHS Costs of long term costs of aging population hence the"Tory Government" has raised the retirement age to 75 from 65 because people are living longer.
Pensions are meant to be an "insurance" not an "assurance" essentially a pension is there to give you an income IF you live to an age where you're not longer able to work productively, not provide a nice way to see the world or kick back and enjoy not having to get up in the mornings whilst you're still fit enough to enjoy it. it's a throw back to a time when work was literally back breaking.
(In the UK) With many people going to college (completely state funded) and then to university too (partially state funded) people aren't entering the workforce until their early or mid twenties, then retiring at 65 means you worked 44 years, in fact if you leave compulsory education at 16, and work to 65 then you only worked 49 years, with live spans expecting to reach around 100, it's essentially not feasible to expect a working age population to "support" someone who wants to not do any work for half their life.

With work being essentially easier (service based economy and desk jobs etc) there is nothing to stop *most* people being able to work until 75, (or more.)

vaping is a great alternative to kick the habit
when I had an E-cig I found it made me smoke more. basically I wouldn't have ever smoked a real cigarette in the house, because then all my stuff would smell horrible, but an E-Cig, well I could (and did) smoke that in bed... so actually my nicotine intake went UP with E-cigarettes...

From what I've heard from previous smokers: replace the habit with something else - I've heard drinking a glass of water over time satisfies the hand-to-mouth motion and makes it easier to quit.
Yep...

I'm a cold turkey kind of quitter, minute to minute that's easy enough, and then you get to a situation when you know you should be smoking, it's that waiting for a bus, or train, or one the drive to work or something, you know that this is the very time that you absolutely *should* be smoking, it's just linked to the situation somehow, you know you arrive at the bus stop at x time, you light up and the bus will come about three drags before you finish... but without smoking you just stand there wondering what to do, all the while knowing that the answer is obvious... you should smoke!

might be worth saying I went from ~ 20 a day to "giving up" over night...

I say "giving up" like "that" because I still smoke occasionally, say if I'm out drinking (which is rare) or I usually smoke when I see a particular friend as that's essentially a time when I sit, drink coffee, smoke and chat.

So I'm more of a twenty a year kind of smoker now.

do I want to give up completely? no, because I really enjoy smoking.
(and honestly I prefer smoking rolling tobacco, (I nice Kentucky dark tobacco) like drum blue or Old Holborn, (the kind where you actually see the tar building up on the Rizzla as you smoke it) and by preference I like unfiltered cigarettes... but with smoking so little I "have" to buy regular cigarettes else I basically just end up with a pouch of dried out tobacco...

which is like what PP said, most people trying Vaping aren't shopping around - they are getting 1 cheap throw away e-cig, and not liking it and deciding that they are all bad. - or they are having a hit on some guys industrial sized fog machine esq vaping unit and finding it much harsher than cigarettes... whilst Probably couldn't count the amount of different brands of cigarette or tobacco I tried, (and then full and lite etc in those brands.)

as for E-cigarettes being harmful, they are being banned in a lot of places now (as well as regular cigarettes) nicotine is still poisonous.
and if you've decided that you should have a mix and match approach to vaping, with a different battery, increased voltages and power, upgraded heating elements, and custom mixed juice then you've got a good chance that you;re developing more acrolein in your vapor, (which was a chemical weapon type gas from the 1st world war...) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrolein

quitting smoking is pretty easy. (despite how addictive nicotine is)
step 1, stop buying cigarettes
step 2, stop putting cigarettes in your mouth and setting fire to them.

Back
Top Bottom