Home build WiFi project part 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,
Part 2, Food Cover Dish.

OK this is the first part of my Home build WiFi project the covers what I have made from house hold items, that I have made myself from a idea that I formulated my self, hope you enjoy.

What you will need:
1) food cover (the type you use when haveing a BBQ.
2) Glue Hot melt and supper glue.
3) 1 USB extension lead (I used a 3meater leed)
4) 1 USB wireless adapter.
5) Some way of Cutting a hole in the mesh. I used a Dremmel and wire snip's.

Step One.

463198.jpg

Take the food cover and cut a hole in the rear where the little handle is the size of the USB lead you are using.
This step may vary slightly from what I did but what you need to do is cut the little spike off that holds the handle, I used a Dremmel tool and a pare of pliers to cut away some of the mesh. so you will have to figure out how to make it work for the one you are using.

Step Two.

This is a little tricky the bit of plasic that comes from the top of the handle that you have just removed now has a nice USB lead sized and shaped hole in it what you need to do is push the lead through and glue it in place with the Supper Glue.
463200.jpg

Fitting the lead.
463203.jpg

Glueing it in place.

Step Three.

Once the glue is dry you now need to fit the lead into the hole you have cut into the mesh and then glue it in place with some hot melt glue. I forgot to
take a picture of doing this but you add some glue to the plastic disk and then add it to the dish then you have to add some from the Now a little word of warning This glue is hot and you are using a lot of it so please be careful with it I have a nice burn on my finger from when I did this.

463201.jpg

Fitting it in the hole.
463206.jpg

Glued in place.

That is it for building it so now that the glue is dry grab your USB wireless adapter and insert it into the socket in the dish now for testing.

Testing.

Now you must understand that in my house a wireless signal that is stable is a rare thing so I built this to increase the strength of the signal because I kept on losing it and it was affecting my internet quality when I used my laptop.
463241.jpg

Look at the boost in signal strength without the dish and with the dish I am a whole two bars stronger and I have been for the 6 hours I tested it for and before I did it I couldn't test longer than 2 hours because I would lose the network connection.

Now while I was looking for my network after testing a side effect I hadn't noticed or hoped for was I was detecting a network 150 yards away through a solid brick wall and several internal plaster board wall's.
463243.jpg

Without the dish.
463244.jpg

With the dish.

This is a basic project designed so any one with little technical skills can build one also this was designed to boost signal strength not boost range that is coming in part 3.

NOTE!
I have linked the images so I can get them in one post so it looks neater, Also please add allquestions and comment's in This Thread.

Discuss Part 2 here: http://www.techist.com/forums/f44/home-build-wifi-project-part-2-discussion-149174/
See Part 1 HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom