Worm, cure? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Security | Computer, Devices, Software and Systems > Viruses, Spyware and Malware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Content Team

Send a message via AIM to Jerigorn Send a message via Yahoo to Jerigorn
Default Worm, cure?

I believe I have a worm. One day I opened internet explorer and my homepage was changed to something else, not sure what it was though. Then, a window for some download popped up, asking whether i wanted to download a certain program, i don't know the name of the program. It popped up three times and all three times i said "no" to the download. After the third time, I changed my homepage back to the orginal and began doing whatever i was doing. Shortly after this incident I started to notice that while I was on the internet I recevied numerous pop-us, even thought I have a pop-up blocker. I noticed some new programs have been added to my computer, some of these I can remove, others I can't. Most imporantly, my computer is running horribly slow, about a third of its normal speed. This is affecting everything I do. Lastly, whenever I try to shutdown my computer I get the blue screen. I think I may need to reformat my hard drive. On a side note, if I reformat the drive, do I get to chose what files my computer keeps and what it deletes?

Old 05-19-2004, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
ADZ
Master Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to ADZ

Do you have an antivirus? if so, download the latest virus definitions, and run a thorough scan.

If you do not have an antivirus, run an online virus scan, the link is in my sig

\/

Old 05-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yes i agree do a virus scan - probably a worm of somekind or it's spyware.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

when my friend's dog had worms the vet gave it some pills... maybe they do them for humans, but i dont know

but if you have a worm or worms you should prolly see a doctor...

oh have i missed the point again... oops sorry!
Old 05-19-2004, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Worm, cure?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerigorn
I believe I have a worm. One day I opened internet explorer and my homepage was changed to something else, not sure what it was though. Then, a window for some download popped up, asking whether i wanted to download a certain program, i don't know the name of the program. It popped up three times and all three times i said "no" to the download. After the third time, I changed my homepage back to the orginal and began doing whatever i was doing. Shortly after this incident I started to notice that while I was on the internet I recevied numerous pop-us, even thought I have a pop-up blocker. I noticed some new programs have been added to my computer, some of these I can remove, others I can't. Most imporantly, my computer is running horribly slow, about a third of its normal speed. This is affecting everything I do. Lastly, whenever I try to shutdown my computer I get the blue screen. I think I may need to reformat my hard drive. On a side note, if I reformat the drive, do I get to chose what files my computer keeps and what it deletes?
Could be a load of spyware.

Get the best spyware destroyer in the land........*DRUM ROLL* ADAWARE!!!*END DRUM ROLL*

www.adaware.com

You wont regret it, and its nice to have even if you DONT have a ton of spyware.

Good luck!