What is the worst computer virus ever?

walcott

Solid State Member
The wave of viruses around 2000-2001 were incredibly nasty to deal with, especially in rapid succession. The biggest jump in creative virus nastiness was Stuxnet.

Actually, the depressing answer is that worst virus ever doesn't exist yet. Virus authors are like any authors of any software: they can improve on each other's existing work. New viruses can work like Stuxnet, except with fewer weaknesses on faster computers and larger numbers of with faster Internet connections, possibly attacking things that didn't used to be attackable online.

Depends on what you mean by "worst". Worst as in damage done? Or worst as in spreadability? Worst as in how hard it is to get rid of it?

My list would go (including vulnerabilities), in no particular order:

Stuxnet
BadUSB
BadBIOS
Cryptolocker
Some of the major botnets
Heartbleed
Shellshock
POODLE

gaud Cryptolocker. I've had to fix a dozen machines with that crap. Thankfully I got to most of them before it started eating large amounts of data.

I really shouldn't say Shellsock is a virus, but its implications were pretty widespread. We just patched our remaining (non-internet facing) shellshock vulnerable server not too long ago.

gaud Cryptolocker. I've had to fix a dozen machines with that crap. Thankfully I got to most of them before it started eating large amounts of data.
Luckily I hadn't/haven't had to touch anything with Cryptolocker...though that could be bad in case I do have do, I won't know how to fix it :lol:

I really shouldn't say Shellsock is a virus, but its implications were pretty widespread. We just patched our remaining (non-internet facing) shellshock vulnerable server not too long ago.

That's why I said "including vulnerabilities" :p. They can in turn be used to be exploited by malware if left unpatched (like all vulnerabilities) - just happens those ones were more serious.

I think cryptolocker has been the worst that i've at least had to deal with. Most virus's exploit vulnerabilities in security but until someone calls on that virus / worm it's harmless. It's a pain in the arse to patch all of your equipment but once patched you are in the clear.

Cryptolocker on the other hand encrypts all drives that the local PC has access to. So not only do you have to deal with patching Cryptolocker and ensuring people don't download the vulnerability, but you have to go back through and fix the encrypted files that were affected. To my knowledge no one has cracked the key so your only two options are either to pay the ransom (usually a few hundred dollars) or restore from backup.

Back
Top Bottom