Virus: Black Screen with White Cursor. How to fix this please?

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi guys!

Here's our story:

Ok, semi new ASUS k55A. HDD died a few weeks ago. Installed a new legit copy of Windows 8.1 Pro on a new SSD that I installed on her laptop.

Everything worked perfect.

She takes college classes at night. This evening, she downloaded what she thought to be a course syllabus. Instead, screen is black with white curser. Laptop won't even turn off when power button is held down. I had to remove the battery to reboot. When I reboot, start up screen shows windows loading. Then screen goes black, and an ad pops up, saying call this phone number to fix your slow computer.

Can anyone here help us?

How can I boot up and get past the black screen with the ad?

Can I do anything other than wipe the SSD clean and start all over again?

Please help us.

Thanks,

Soar

Last edited:
download malwarebytes onto a thumb drive and pop it in the laptop and boot it up,
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
When you first switch your computer on, hold down the shift key and press the F8 key repeatedly. Select - Trouble Shoot Your PC/ Advanced Options/ Command Prompt.
Once your in the command prompt window, type in Explorer.Exe and hit enter on your keyboard
That should get you into windows so you can install malwarebytes from the thumb drive and scan the hard drive for the malicious program

Last edited:
download malwarebytes onto a thumb drive and pop it in the laptop and boot it up,
https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
When you first switch your computer on, hold down the shift key and press the F8 key repeatedly. Select - Trouble Shoot Your PC/ Advanced Options/ Command Prompt.
Once your in the command prompt window, type in Explorer.Exe and hit enter on your keyboard
That should get you into windows so you can install malwarebytes from the thumb drive and scan the hard drive for the malicious program

Thanks for the reply Joe. Do I need to open the Malwarebytes before installing on the flash drive? Or do I simply place the file on the flashdrive?

And how will I be able to see Malwarebytes when the screen is black?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom