Strange Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

11watson11

Beta member
Sorry if it's in the wrong section - my first post on these forums.

For the last few days a couple of programs haven't been running, once clicked they appear in the task manager processes tab but they jump up and down the list, cannot be ended until shut down and take up unusual usage. Once I right click these particular programs and select 'Run As...' the program does open but has other issues.

Along with this I am unable to load any buttons (back new folder etc.) when I open up My Computer or My Documents but they do appear when I right click the Start Menu and go to Explore.

Yet another weird thing is that my second computer has similar small problems, but this one hasn't been running as long. I am slightly concerned since the older computer is running slower than it should be and don't want this one to end up the same.

I have run anti virus and spyware scans and I've also tried uninstalling software that's been downloaded since the problems occurred without success and can't work out what's wrong.

Both machines are running XP SP3

Thanks in advance

What anti virus and spyware scans are you using? Are they up-to-date?

As for the slow computer, have you done a disk cleanup, disk defrag, and a disk check?

If you can pinpoint when this started happening try to use system restore back to that early restore point (before issues started occuring).

What anti virus and spyware scans are you using? Are they up-to-date?

As for the slow computer, have you done a disk cleanup, disk defrag, and a disk check?

If you can pinpoint when this started happening try to use system restore back to that early restore point (before issues started occuring).

I have scanned with: Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware and Norton

I have used disk cleanup with the slow computer

And I did try system restore.

Thanks

OK I checked with the guide, but still have the problem.
I tried to give up on fixing the spyware after trying several other anti malware scanners and went for a system restore, which wont install because I don't have "sr.sys". Any advice? Shall I try to fix the system restore or keep getting the spyware?

Thanks

I would suggest going thru the guide in Safe Mode with Networking. That will allow you access to the internet to update the prgrams and download them while removign the spyware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom