Really strange: keyboard pastes stuff I did not ask it to do. Will not cut and paste correctly.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi all!

Ok, I have never experienced this problem before. This week, my computer would begin to paste stuff when I did not ask it to do so [example: signing in to a site, the computer would automatically paste something that I cut from an article earlier in the day]. Then, when I did desire to cut and paste, I would cut something, but then the computer would paste something completely different [often times, it would paste something I cut earlier, but not paste the item I had just cut].

I have ran my anti-virus. I have run Malware Bytes. I am using Norton 360, and it tells me everything is clean.

What else can I do?

Is there any possibility there is a key logger on my system?

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Soar

Last edited:
Odd enough situation. Couple quick things to start off:
- Run "[FONT=&quot]sfc /scannow" through a command prompt (Run as admin)

- Try to copy and paste misc things in notepad over and over, see if anything odd happens like what you were explaining. If everything looks good, see if you have the same problem with a different browser.

- [/FONT]Click on Tools-Internet Options-Security Settings-Custom Level- Scroll
down to Miscellaneous - under that scroll down to drag or drop or copy
and paste. Click to disable, reset your browser, and then re-enable. This seems to have worked for one guy elsewhere. These steps are for IE, I would assume there are similar options in different locations for FireFox/Chrome, or whatever 3rd party browser you may be using.

[FONT=&quot]- Try testing your memory for errors (memtest86+). I don't believe faulty RAM would cause this, but since the copy contents are stored in RAM, a cross reference problem could be to blame.

IMO, this doesn't sound like a key-logger or malware of any sort. The problem seems to occur frequently enough on other forums and it tends to be related to a system file failure/corruption. Hope one of these does the trick for you, look forward to hearing progress. Either way, best of luck. - Rube
[/FONT]

Odd enough situation. Couple quick things to start off:
- Run "[FONT=&quot]sfc /scannow" through a command prompt (Run as admin)

- Try to copy and paste misc things in notepad over and over, see if anything odd happens like what you were explaining. If everything looks good, see if you have the same problem with a different browser.

- [/FONT]Click on Tools-Internet Options-Security Settings-Custom Level- Scroll
down to Miscellaneous - under that scroll down to drag or drop or copy
and paste. Click to disable, reset your browser, and then re-enable. This seems to have worked for one guy elsewhere. These steps are for IE, I would assume there are similar options in different locations for FireFox/Chrome, or whatever 3rd party browser you may be using.

[FONT=&quot]- Try testing your memory for errors (memtest86+). I don't believe faulty RAM would cause this, but since the copy contents are stored in RAM, a cross reference problem could be to blame.

IMO, this doesn't sound like a key-logger or malware of any sort. The problem seems to occur frequently enough on other forums and it tends to be related to a system file failure/corruption. Hope one of these does the trick for you, look forward to hearing progress. Either way, best of luck. - Rube
[/FONT]

Rube,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...I have had too much going on at work and home!

Ok, did the sfc /scannow, system said "did not find any integrity violations." So that is good news!

Next, tried the copy and paste from various locations to the notepad. All was good.

Could not find the buttons you mentioned in Firefox.

I am beginning to suspect Firefox is the culprit [it has been giving me other problems for a few months now].

I will try Chrome and see if I can replicate the problem. If not, I suppose I can try to reinstall Firefox.

Thanks again and please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Oh, I will run Memtest 86+ tonight and see what happens there.

Soar

Is your keyboard old or new? These have a lifespan and may need replacing after a period of time. Don't buy second handed hardwares.

I have tried all of the above recommended cures, and still have this problem with my computer not cutting and pasting correctly. I think this is a virus, but my antivirus program does not pick anything up. Also, Malware does not pick up any infections.

This is really weird. It also effects Microsoft Word, Excel, just about all programs.

Can anyone here give me some more advice on how to cure my computer please?

Thanks,

Soar

Guys,

Sure enough, as soon as I switched out keyboards, the weird cutting and pasting idiosyncrasies stopped completely.

Thank you for helping me troubleshoot this and I have emailed Logitech about the problem and hope to find a great solution on this MK 700.

Have a wonderful day and thanks again times one million!

Soar

Back
Top Bottom