Please help me fight the spyware known as "OpenCandy"

True Colors

Baseband Member
I just imaged a new drive on my PC. I downloaded a lot of the tools that I have been using for years.... VLC player, MPC-HC, Media Info, handbrake, imgburn, stream transport, etc. etc. Most of this stuff is freeware/shareware type stuff.

To my surprise, there is a new form of spyware which seems be running rampant everywhere called "OpenCandy." It installs itself on your computer without your knowledge..... sometimes it even comes embedded into software without any mention that it is there.

Of course, this p1sses me off to no end.

I have no problem with software developers including extraware as long as they are open about it. For example, virtually everyone now offers to install some sort of special toolbar in your browser. It is up to you to make a conscious decision if you want it or not.

I have removed OpenCandy from my computer multiple times already by using MalwareBytes. However, I am looking for a way to take this a step further. How can I stop OpenCandy from ever even installing on my computer in the first place?

I saw the comments below....... I am not knowledgeable enough in this area, so can someone please educate me on whether or not this will work......or if you have any other recommendations that you can make about what can be done.

Thanks,

TC

Controversial Advertising Program Now Being Embedded in More Software

There are 2 things one should do to install a OpenCandy program.

1. Block OpenCandy servers in the windows host file.

You do not want OpenCandy to spy on you.

Click on your start button, go to programs, accessories, right click on notepad and run as administrator.

Click on file, open.
Go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
type *.* and click on host

Add this to the host file

127.0.0.1 tracking.opencandy.com.s3.amazonaws.com
127.0.0.1 media.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 cdn.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 tracking.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 api.opencandy.com

And click save.

2. Now go to the command line and enter:

"ProgamName /NOCANDY"

The program will now install with no chance of installing third party software & no chance of spying on you by communicating with the OpenCandy servers.

All that host file mod is doing is blocking network connectivity from it if it's already on your computer.

Sounds like you installed something that it's attached to and if it keeps coming back you'll have to find the source and remove it before you can rid yourself of the spyware.

I just imaged a new drive on my PC. I downloaded a lot of the tools that I have been using for years.... VLC player, MPC-HC, Media Info, handbrake, imgburn, stream transport, etc. etc. Most of this stuff is freeware/shareware type stuff.

To my surprise, there is a new form of spyware which seems be running rampant everywhere called "OpenCandy." It installs itself on your computer without your knowledge..... sometimes it even comes embedded into software without any mention that it is there.

Of course, this p1sses me off to no end.

I have no problem with software developers including extraware as long as they are open about it. For example, virtually everyone now offers to install some sort of special toolbar in your browser. It is up to you to make a conscious decision if you want it or not.

I have removed OpenCandy from my computer multiple times already by using MalwareBytes. However, I am looking for a way to take this a step further. How can I stop OpenCandy from ever even installing on my computer in the first place?

I saw the comments below....... I am not knowledgeable enough in this area, so can someone please educate me on whether or not this will work......or if you have any other recommendations that you can make about what can be done.

Thanks,

TC

Controversial Advertising Program Now Being Embedded in More Software
For future refrence:

Make sure you download all that freeware from legitimate sources. Also make sure that objects downloaded cant execute without admin privileges, and that all downloads are scanned before running. Sounds like a lot? It's not. A decent AV software does this all for you.

As far as the opencandy you got infected with...
Try these.
ESET Online Scanner
AdwCleaner Download

EDIT:
Just now saw that you said you have removed it several times. It keeps coming back though? So then its not removed, or something else is installed on your computer that redownloads Open candy. Use the scans I posted above. Make sure your computer is completely clean as the first step.

Once you are sure its clean. Ask yourself why you keep getting OpenCandy? Stop downloading pirated movies lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom