lsass.exe: object name not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaanish

Fully Optimized
Hi, I'm fixing a computer for a friend at the moment and every time the computer is booted up, the message 'lsass.exe object name not found' appears after the splash screen. I can get no further than the splash screen, as I must always restart after seeing this message. I am informed that, seeing as though the 'l' in lsass is lower case, there is an infection of the Sasser worm on the drive? Could someone please clear that up for me? Thanks.

Also, if I get rid of this virus, will I be able to boot back into windows XP as normal? Or will I have to get legitimate Lsass.exe (capital L) and paste that into the compromised computer's system32 folder through DOS/Usb stick with a ubuntu LiveCD?

Thanks =)

I get the same message when I try to get into safe mode, by the way. (sorry for double post)

Would a Stinger boot disk do the trick?

Thanks osiris

If the computer has OEM windows XP home edition with service pack 3 installed on it, does that mean that I have got to do repair install with an xp home sp3 disk? or can i use any xp disk?

Yes Im pretty sure, haven't done that in a while to be 100% sure. All you can do is try, it will error out if it wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom