helprecover[at]foxmail[dot]com

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
My wife's computer was just hit with this. I am currently trying to find how to remove and recover from it but there's just not a lot out there. From what I have gathered it is a form of Phobos. Anyone know anything helpful on this one?

My wife's computer was just hit with this. I am currently trying to find how to remove and recover from it but there's just not a lot out there. From what I have gathered it is a form of Phobos. Anyone know anything helpful on this one?

Use this site, they collect decryption keys the FBI etc have gotten from arrests.

https://www.nomoreransom.org/en/index.html

Doesnt look they will have it though.

If you cannot decrypt, it is your choice to pay, keep in mind they may not provide the key, and also if they do, they will sell your details on the market as "payers" so you will be targeted more.

Mitigation - take local backup on external drive (disconnect after each backup) and cloud backups in future.

Or if you can budget, pay for ransomware protection (most paid AV's come with this now).

Last edited:
I will give it a shot. No one is getting a damn thing from me, especially someone who does crap like this. I was in the process of setting her computer up as I replaced it and they hit while I was having lunch. Lesson learned, I guess.

Last edited:
Thanks, i2D and Joe. Looks like I will take her old drive and sequester it in a drawer in hope of someone finding a cure someday. The new drive and the flash drive will be wiped and formatted using GParted.

She can only stay pissed for so long, right?

Trotter is the owner of the site. He gonna ban yo *** lol

ROFLMAO. No, not the owner, just the chief keystone cop.

I broke the news to my wife and she took it rather well. She is hoping she can find a copy of her budget spreadsheet that isn't too far out of date as that is what is her main concern. Today I pulled the old drive and put it away, nuked the new M.2, and reinstalled Win10, Office, etc.

I should note that I am single ;)

Married 33.5 years so far.

Back
Top Bottom