Google reverting my homepage to Google

stefclayton

Beta member
Hi,

I thought this would be the best place to find help for an issue I've been having.

For a few months now, I've noticed that every time I travel, my homepage changes to the Domain of that country (Google.fr / Google.co.uk).
I also noticed that when I tried to change my homepage from Google to something else (in this case Openoox which still uses Google's search bar), it reverts back to Google.co.uk/[insert many special characters] instead.

I would really like to change my homepage, and more importantly, I'd really like my laptop to stop searching for sh*t in French when I go to France (a place I travel to frequently).

I am using Firefox (v. 36.0.1).
My Extensions are as follows:
-Search Status
-AdBlock Plus 2.6.7
-Mozbar 2.6.5
-Openoox import bookmarks (that's just so Openoox works efficiently though ultimately useless without the site as my homepage)
-McAfee Site advisor 3.7.2 (disabled)

Add-ons include:
-Shockwave update 16.0.0.305 (always activate)
-Google Update 1.3.24.15 (Ask to activate)
-Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.310.13 11.31.2.13 (Ask to activate)
-Java(TM) Platform SE8 U3111.31.2.13 (Ask to activate)
-Photo Gallery 16.4.3505.912 (Ask to activate)
-Intel Identity Protection Technology 4.0.5.0 (Disabled)
-Intel Identity Protection Technology 4.0.5.0 (Disabled) [Not sure why that's there twice]
-Itunes Application Detector 1.0.1.1 (Disabled)
-OpenH264 Video Codec provided by Cisco Systems Inc., 1.3. (disabled)
-Skype Web plugin 3.1.15602.22612 (Disabled)

I don't even know what half of these plugins do - I must've taken a few wrong turns at some point in my online life.

I'm not sure whether this is related, but Firefox seems to be reaaaaally slow and I often need to reset it. Disabling a few of the above proverbial "bad boys" seems to have improved on things a little, but please let me know if I can just remove some of these for good. I hate clutter!

My theory is that one of the plugins is doing this, but I can't work out which ones are useless/malware, OR it's a Firefox update that screwed things up.

Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Best,

Stef

Back
Top Bottom