Formatted Partition, is white screen gone?

bedazzled

Beta member
Hi,

I had what I suspect a white screen virus, even though I had no message displayed.

My PC is dual boot. Linux and Windows XP. Its not connected to the Internet, but, when what I suspect to be a virus happened, it was. One day, when we booted the PC into windows. It showed the white screen with nothing working. Not even ctrl+alt+del

For a long time, since I do not use that pc much other than for photos and personal memories back up, I did not bother with it. I have just been using Linux as that is what I primarily use. I had been avoiding it actually because I hate formatting, reinstalling etc., as I had no back up point and restore disk. The Windows XP was installed long time ago and I dont even remember where that cd is. I tried getting into registry and safe mode when I first found the issue but it could not be resolved.

However, finally after a year, to get rid of the problem and nagging at the back of my head, I formatted the C: partition using Linux, but the file system remains NTFS of that partition.

What I'm wondering is, is my issue over or do I need to be careful with files around that PC. Im not totally satisfied because I do realise that I have not formatted the entire HDD.

My theory, that its all good, is based on that to virus to propagate, it would need to transmit using Windows, and it will not in Linux. So, from that angle all looks good.

However, I'm trying to figure out if it would be residing in a file somewhere. And, that file is copy pasted then obviously, in an unprotected windows pc, it can again cause havoc.

I am now using the formatted partition to store my jpeg images and I made sure that there was no other file other than photos folders and all the files in there were actual photos.

In a nutshell:
a) Formatting a partition removes white screen virus (suspected)
b) If I ensure that there is no other file other than the file I know to be a genuine file, is it gone? Or does it reside on files?
c) I really need a good document on this virus as I could not find anything on it other than steps to remove it. There used to be a virus dictionary on kaspersky website I think but I can not seem to find there anymore.

Thanks.

I kind of doubt that it was necessarily a virus.

That said, if you want to check...ClamAV is available for Linux for an AV that can scan for Windows malware. Install that, and run a scan on your file that resided on your Windows partition.

Back
Top Bottom