Best one?

nobodyimporant

Solid State Member
Hi, I've been using Norton 360 for a while now, so far it's been affective and I haven't really had any problems but the only thing is, it doesn't really protect against spyware cookies and malware, smaller things...what is the best security I can buy for my laptop that will protect against EVERYTHING and get rid of everything and anything?

The best? Common Sense. Seriously - I don't run anything other than stock Defender and I have no issues. In my browser I have uBlock Origin for an ad-blocker extension, and FlashBLock to block automatic flash ads and such. I also recently installed Privacy Badger from the EFF which blocks tracking and such.

As for an actual AV... Avira or Avast - they're just as good as any paid AV. Norton sucks - get rid of it. Use the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall (available here: Download Norton Removal Tool - MajorGeeks ) and replace it with something like one of those 2. If you prefer to pay for an AV...Eset or BitDefender Pro are a couple that would be good.

This is the site I base my opinions on AV performance and such on: AV-Comparatives Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - AV-Comparatives

They do monthly tests, and then yearly compile those monthly tests into a summary report.

Hi! I run MSE and MBAM Premium. I have WOT on all three browsers, Ad-block+, MBAM Anti_ Exploit.
I agree with carnage. Dump Norton! Like carnage says the best protection is common sense. Don't click it unless you know what you're clicking!
Gary!
PS Here are a few ways you get infected!! Here's a good read. It's written far better then I ever good.
How does a computer get infected with a virus or spyware?
By far one of the most common ways a computer becomes infected is when a user accepts what they see on the screen without reading the prompt before proceeding.

Last edited:
Just as an FYI, MSE isn't really recommended anymore (even by MS) because the scanning engine isn't really updated/maintained anymore.

Hi carnage! Thanks for the info. I realize that MSE is not the best Anti-Virus. I's probably near the bottom. I get definitions every day, so some one is maintaining it. I have never been infected using MSE and MBAM premium. Until I do, I'll probably stay with what I have.
I have done a little research on MSE and there are mixed reports.
If you don't mind, could you post your souse so I can read it. Might help other members here also.
Thanks!
Gary

Hi carnage! Thanks for the info. I realize that MSE is not the best Anti-Virus. I's probably near the bottom. I get definitions every day, so some one is maintaining it. I have never been infected using MSE and MBAM premium. Until I do, I'll probably stay with what I have.
If you don't mind, could you post your souse so I can read it. Might help other members here also.
Thanks!
Gary

MSE may not of picked up the infection, that's why it's not rec.. Just because you get new library doesn't mean it's adding all the new found viruses:cool:

Was it ever recommended lol
IMHO MSE by it's self would not be enough. I have been running MSE and MBAM Pro in real time for years. My Thinking is MBAM will pick up where MSE is lacking. I have the life time license of MBAM and so my security is free. I suppose I could use Avira or Avast, but I really believe I have the protection I need and I don't get any nag pop-ups. I'm a safe suffer and until I get some serious infection, I'll stay with what I have.;)
Gary!!
PS I didn't mean to recommend MSE to the OP. Just stating what I use. The OP can make their own decision!!:silly:
Here's my research findings! When you read the fine print on some of these testers, you may get a different aspect of what's really going on!!
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/soft...ty-essentials-review-latest-results-highlight
Although the protection scores are bad, our test PCs are purposely left out-of-date to really challenge the security software. Running tests on the software on a fully-updated PC, Security Essentials is a much more effective companion. If you have a PC that has the latest Microsoft security updates installed alongside Security Essentials and you have a fair degree of common sense when it comes to dangerous files, you have an acceptable level of protection.

Last edited:
Was it ever recommended lol

Yes actually. For the first couple years it was around, it was one of the best performing AV's. However, MS stopped maintaining it for the most because Defender came bundled with Windows 8 (which was an updated MSE Engine).

Thanks!
Gary

http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goo...w-recommends-you-use-a-third-party-antivirus/

I was mistaken that MS said not to use it anymore. But look at the summary reports on AV-Comparatives and you'll see it didn't perform very well (last time they had it in a test in fact was 2012).

Last edited:
Yes actually. For the first couple years it was around, it was one of the best performing AV's. However, MS stopped maintaining it for the most because Defender came bundled with Windows 8 (which was an updated MSE Engine).

I have to disagree, Here is a review a year after release. It never did match up to other AV's and I as others say, its performance was great but actual detection was bad. Like I said to Donetao, it may show no threats but it could just not see them.

Microsoft Security Essentials review - Review - PC Advisor

Back
Top Bottom