Where do companies register your domain names you pay for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepg

In Runtime
Ok, here is the question. You pay Yahoo, or whatever webhost you choose, $10 per year for registering your domain name. Where do they go to register it? Can I do it for free? How does this work?

Why do I have to pay someone for a name I thought up and no one owns yet? Seems kind of stupid.

You don't really pay for anything tangeable. You are paying for the rights to use that name, and for someone register it for you (the general public can't directly register names). In the end, someone has to pay for the root DNS servers and their bandwidth. That is what you pay for, among other things.

ICANN handles DNS at the highest level. Registrars are approved by ICANN and have certian rules they must follow. Many places that offer domain name registration aren't registrars. Its common for them to use a middle man, like the OpenSRS system offerd by Twocows, Inc.

I did some research into it and it is actually fairly expensive. There is a $2500 minimum and Per year charge. There is also a $500 per extension .com, .org, .net .etc There are a lot of DNS already!!! It could cost a total of $6500 to be able to register all the different extensions!

mikepg said:
I did some research into it and it is actually fairly expensive. There is a $2500 minimum and Per year charge. There is also a $500 per extension .com, .org, .net .etc There are a lot of DNS already!!! It could cost a total of $6500 to be able to register all the different extensions!

No way! It should only cost between $10 and $25 a year with no minimum charges.

Network Solutions has been around for a long time and is one of the few that I trust. http://www.netsol.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom